Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I upgrade my processor?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pivotraze

pivotraze

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

Can I upgrade my processor?

Here is system specs:
Computer Model: Gateway MX8734
Motherboard: Gateway uFCPGA2
Current CPU: Intel Pentium T2060 @ 1.60GHz

More info about Motherboard:
Manufacturer Gateway
Version 3408450R
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model i943/940GML
Chipset Revision 03
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801GHM (ICH7-M/U)
Southbridge Revision B0

BIOS:
Brand Phoenix Technologies LTD
Version 72.12
Date 03/03/2007

Edited by pivotraze, 11 May 2011 - 04:54 PM.

Proud user of Windows 7 Ultimate

Developer of: Seafire Suite
Developer of: Pivot: Revolution

System Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-2350M,

MaxxAudio® LE

, 1600x900 17.3" HD+ TruBrite LED Screen , and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fEaR iTsElF510

fEaR iTsElF510

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

What sucks is the fact your trying to upgrade a laptop CPU. If you upgrade your CPU your most likely trying to get more speed from it. If you want speed you what faster clock speed. The faster clock speed the hotter the CPU. And in a laptop is very risky because the cooling system is hard to upgrade to keep a advanced CPU cool and stable. The socket type for your CPU is Socket M. If you believe your laptop can keep a advanced cool enough search for CPU's under that socket type. Steps you can take now is monitor your CPU's temp. I use[url="http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/"]Core Temp[/url Then i suggest running an intel burn test you can find it online. This will push your CPU to the max. If your CPU gets above 70 degrees Celsius than you probably don't want to upgrade. Now all of this depends if you push your CPU hard at all. If you do a lot of gaming or encoding then id advise against it. If your a simple user that you will be able to but remember Socket type M if you decide to buy one. But if i were you i woudn't. Its not work it to upgrade your CPU cause it not going to make a huge difference. If you want a computer that you can upgrade parts on get a desktop. Way easier to change parts and have the appropriate cooling system.

#3 derek.ellis

derek.ellis

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:57 AM

Run this progam called SANDRA http://www.sisoftware.net/

Run the hardware scan and it will tell you what your system is able to upgrade to

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:14 AM

It is possible to upgrade a laptop CPU but it can be expensive and it has to be compatible with the chipset etc. In a laptop you can easily upgrade the RAM and hard drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,140 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:34 AM

Considering that seems to be the sole CPU the model was available with, and there is no BIOS update available for it, it's likely the laptop may not correctly recognize other CPUs. I wouldn't consider it a worthwhile candidate to try an upgrade.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 pivotraze

pivotraze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

What sucks is the fact your trying to upgrade a laptop CPU. If you upgrade your CPU your most likely trying to get more speed from it. If you want speed you what faster clock speed. The faster clock speed the hotter the CPU. And in a laptop is very risky because the cooling system is hard to upgrade to keep a advanced CPU cool and stable. The socket type for your CPU is Socket M. If you believe your laptop can keep a advanced cool enough search for CPU's under that socket type. Steps you can take now is monitor your CPU's temp. I use Core Temp[/url Then i suggest running an intel burn test you can find it online. This will push your CPU to the max. If your CPU gets above 70 degrees Celsius than you probably don't want to upgrade. Now all of this depends if you push your CPU hard at all. If you do a lot of gaming or encoding then id advise against it. If your a simple user that you will be able to but remember Socket type M if you decide to buy one. But if i were you i woudn't. Its not work it to upgrade your CPU cause it not going to make a huge difference. If you want a computer that you can upgrade parts on get a desktop. Way easier to change parts and have the appropriate cooling system.

I ran the burn test, and the temperature of Core #0 stayed inbetween 50 and 60 degrees celcius, while Core #1 stayed between 50 and 65 celcius. This was run at "Maximum" stress level. Load is at 100% the entire time. After stopping burn test, it dropped back down to the average 48 degrees. Wouldn't upgrading from my 1.6GHz to a 2.0GHz or 2.3GHz, or maybe even 3.xGHz make a big difference to speed? I don't expect an i7 to go in here, just something to increase the speed a bit.

Run this progam called SANDRA http://www.sisoftware.net/

Run the hardware scan and it will tell you what your system is able to upgrade to

Can't find a hardware scan option?

It is possible to upgrade a laptop CPU but it can be expensive and it has to be compatible with the chipset etc. In a laptop you can easily upgrade the RAM and hard drive.

I'm willing to pay if it isn't the same price as a new laptop. :P The RAM is almost maxed out at 1.5GB. Another 1GB stick will max it out when replacing the other 512MB Ram Stick.

Edited by pivotraze, 26 May 2011 - 09:28 PM.

Proud user of Windows 7 Ultimate

Developer of: Seafire Suite
Developer of: Pivot: Revolution

System Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-2350M,

MaxxAudio® LE

, 1600x900 17.3" HD+ TruBrite LED Screen , and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

You are taking a big risk here and it's pretty hard finding a mobile processor with a socket M.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users