Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Spyware Program

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

I would like for the experts tell me what would be the best program for protection from malware. I like the information I have read on Superantispyware and MBAM (Malwarebytes). Which, in you opinion, would be the best all around program for efficiency and ease of use? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

Both of those apps are the current best of breed for anti malware. I prefer MalwareBytes, but there is no reason you can't scan with both. Neither is a substitute for a good anti virus utility always resident

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

You do not mention if you are looking for a free or paid for solution.

The paid version of Malwarebytes with it`s real time protection, run along with an AV, are a very good and highly recommended combo.

The free version of SAS is a very good on demand scanner for second opinions.

#4 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

Thanks Allan. I am using Norton 360 on the laptop I am using now. It seems to be doing a good job for me. I have the commercial AVG on my desktop computer, but I am going to get rid of it and get something else. While using it, it allowed a nasty virus, or something (Antivius 2009), I believe, to come down from the internet which found it's way into my computer. I had to do a factory reinstall as I could not get back into window. I was in the screen where everything is listed (safe mode) such as, safe mode with netwokrking, start from known good configuration, but not any of those commands would work. I will be considering both of the ones you suggested.

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

ThunderZ, I believe that both, the free version, and the paid version are equally as good as the other. I realize that the paid version runs in real time, protecting your computer from geting those nasties. I will most likely get the paid version of Malwarebytes, and run it along with a good antivirus protection. I will not consider AVG pro anymore. It was supposed to protect a person from the bugs on the internet, but it did not protect me. Thanks for the reply.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

AVG has fallen out of favor here as well as else where for a multitude of reasons.

Having said that. There is no AV\AM that can protect 100% of the time against 100% of the exploits that are out there.

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

ThunderZ, I understand what you are saying. I agree with you. It seems like those idiots that make the crap up are trying to out do the folks who are working to keep this in check. I would like to see Congress pass a Federal Law that would send these people programing this malware to prison for 5 years on the first offense. It's terribe the amount of work, and stress, these idiots place on others for their glory.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

Try Avast instead of AVG.
I used to be a die hard AVG fan but I dont like AVG 2011 at all and switched to Avast instead.

If you opt for Avast, you might want to go into the settigns and disable the sounds.
They annoy me so I turn them off. I dont need my system to say "virus definitions have been updated" etc I just want it to do it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

I have heard that Avast is a good virus program. My Nortoin Antivrus I currently have now allows me to run thier software on either 2 or 3 different computers. As I have around a year and a half left on it yet I think I'll switch over to it. Thanks for the information, Eyesee.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

Norton makes a fine product. They went through a questionable period a few years ago, but now they are back on track and their av aps are among the best.

#11 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thanks Allan. I agree with you. I think Norton is a lot better than it used to be. I think what I am going to do is buy the Malwarebytes and continue to use Norton.

#12 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

I used to be a die hard AVG fan but I dont like AVG 2011 at all and switched to Avast instead.

Do you use this software with any other security software? I'm considering switching from Kasperski to something a little less expensive. But I really like all the options I have with Kasperski. It also seems to find more junk on my computer than the trial version of Trend Micro I'm using right now.

No, I'm not using both AV's at the same time :)

Edited by Booh-kitty, 13 May 2011 - 02:33 PM.

Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

Do you use this software with any other security software?

Free MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware and I still occasionally use Spybot Search and Destroy.
I know that Spybot has kind of fallen out of favor and is in need of an overhaul but it tends to find older malware that others dont. It found Bonzi Buddy on a system last week. I havent seen that one in years!

#14 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

I should have said that I'm on the internet A LOT! Do think all that would be enough for me? Online banking and such.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

Just be careful of the sites that you go to.

A good AV program with MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware is a good combo.
Just remember that you need to run MBAM and SAS every once in a while.

BTW: I like your avatar! What is that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users