Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox/Google/Yahoo redirect virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrsmillertime

mrsmillertime

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

I've been experiencing issues with Firefox redirecting searching to potentially harmful sites. I primarily use Yahoo as my main search engine, but have also experienced the problem when using Google.

I have done recent scans with both AVG 2011 and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (in both regular & safe mode) with no infections found.

I'm running Firefox 3.6.17 on Windows XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrsmillertime

mrsmillertime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

My problem just got a million times worse. I am now infected with the Windows Recovery & XP Anti-Spyware viruses. I am trying to follow the instructions in the uninstall guides (on this site) and can't get RKill to work. My AVG2011 keeps interfering - which makes me think it is also infected - and won't allow the RKill to run. If I tell AVG to allow RKill, I get an error that the Installation failed. I miraculously got RKill to run once and the black screen told me that "access was denied."

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have no idea what my Dad did to his computer.....

Edited by mrsmillertime, 13 May 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#3 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hi mrsmillertime,

Please run this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller then follow up with malwarebytes.

:)

#4 mrsmillertime

mrsmillertime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Hi mrsmillertime,

Please run this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller then follow up with malwarebytes.

:)

Thanks coles1mom. I was finally able to get Malwarebytes to run and it detected/fixed several infections. But my ultimate problem still persists. At first glance, I have nothing in my C drive or in Program Files (see attached screen shots). I am able to get programs to open using Run, so I know they are on my computer somewhere but whatever infection I have is still interrupting my computer. I have run Malwarebytes several times and it is showing no infections.

Any thoughts?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

Hi mrsmillertime.

Are you still getting redirects?

Step 18 here should unhide file http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-vista-recovery

#6 mrsmillertime

mrsmillertime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Are you still getting redirects?

I don't believe so. That issue seems to have been resolved - thank you.

I ran the unhide program and it seems to have fixed part of the problem. When I navigate using "My Computer", I am able to see all my computer files without issue. However no files are appearing in the Start Menu - only the folders that should contain them. I've attached images showing the AVG folder of my start menu & the same AVG folder from the C drive. Is there a reason that these files would continue to remain hidden in the Start Menu?

Thanks again!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:51 PM

Hi mrsmillertime,

It seems others are having the same issue. You may want to start at step 6 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and post over in the malware removal log section. Sorry I can't be of more help. It might take a few days for them to get to your logs but they will fix your system proper. :)

#8 mrsmillertime

mrsmillertime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

Thanks, coles1mom!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users