Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I really need the physical keyboard?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan2508

Nathan2508

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

I am in the market for a new smartphone. In the past I have always opted for an actual push button full keyboard. I am hesitant to go completely touch screen but I realize that my concerns may be trivial. Do the screens have decreased performance over time? Do they work well if your hands are very cold or sweaty? I would really like a robust cell phone that will last as long as possible and if going completely touch screen means I'll have to replace my phone sooner I would rather keep the keyboard.

Nathan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HFVIII

HFVIII

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hi Nathan,

So, I've had both a touchscreen only and a full keyboard phone. Honestly, I prefer the full keyboard. The keys might be slightly smaller, but (at least for the model I had), the screen touch was not nearly as accurate for things like texting or dialing. I would spend more time backing up and rewriting than I would if I had the full keyboard.

The screen is much less accurate if your hands are cold too. It rarely worked for me when I was trying to call someone to pick me up in a snowstorm (believe it or not, it happened more than a few times).

If you want a reliable phone, a touchscreen might not be for you. Since the entire front side is normally a giant screen, they tend to get scratched very easily, making it difficult to see in direct sunlight. I don't know about you, but that is one of the most annoying things about the currently existing screen market.

Also, I had issues with my screen working at times. Specifically, it would stop responding to all of my touches and I'd have to pay to get it replaced (this was AT&T, by the way, a terrible company for customer service).

That said, I also know some people who really love the touchscreen aspect, especially those who have iPhones. They don't like the clicking sound of the keys.

Best of luck deciding.
-HFVIII

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

i use full touch screens myself, but a lot of it is just personal preference. there are some phones like the droid 2 that have both so that way if you dont like one you can use the other

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Rain Storm

Rain Storm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

I prefer the physical keyboard, because it's easier to type, in my opinion. With the touchscreen, the keys are small and close together, but with the slide-out keyboard, it's easier. The keys are easier to decipher which one is which. Also, touchscreens do not respond well with cold hands, as they respond to heat. Sweat also leaves marks on the screen. Depending on your carrier, I'd try an android with a touchscreen and a slide out keyboard, such as an Evo Shift. I'm very satisfied with mine.

#5 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

I used to prefer the physical keyboard, but ever since I got my first iPhone a couple years back I haven't looked back. The touchscreen performance doesn't get any worse, and no matter if my fingers are sweaty, cold hot... it still works perfectly fine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users