Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE to SATA hard drive adapters?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Hi, experts.

My current computer is a shop-built tower running Windows 7 Ultimate (x64). Its board is of course SATA. But I have several old IDE/PATA hard drives which I'd like to be able to plug into the computer internally now and then, not just through my external enclosure.

Anyway, not being that hardware literate, I'm not positive as to what I need. Could somebody point out to me, for example from this page, exactly what I need? And is there any device which would work for me which simply adapts the IDE plug to a SATA plug, without having to install a card? If there is, could I use that in my external IDE enclosure the opposite way, plugging in a SATA drive to the IDE enclosure? You can laugh at me if you want ...

Thanks a million.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Here is one: ULTRA ULT40322 SATA to IDE and IDE to SATA Adapter 27.99

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

This is what you want. You should be able to connect any SATA drive to an IDE/PATA port or any IDE/PATA drive to a SATA port using this. I've never used one of these in conjunction with an external enclosure and it may or may not work.

Edit to add:

Here is one: ULTRA ULT40322 SATA to IDE and IDE to SATA Adapter 27.99

That works too.

Edited by Andrew, 11 May 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#4 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

Thanks! :thumbup2: Greatly appreciated by this not-so-adept adapter person.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users