Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noob

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 was

was

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:09 AM

I stumbled into your forum through Google, reeling from malware. Spyaxe, in particular, but had vestiges of old damage in puter that has collected over several years. I don't know much about puters, but have been able to stumble through repairs listed in forums like this over the years to at least get up and running again.

I was able to use the info posted to get rid of Spyaxe, thanks. The smitRem program worked great! I still have other issues I hope to work on but at the pace I am going it will take weeks, I am sure.

I have a Dell Pentium ®4 CPU 1.8 GHz with 512 RAM running Windows XP 2002 with Svc. Pk. 2.

After I got rid of Spyaxe I found my Home page has been taken over, my Task manager keeps getting "turned off by admin", NAV tries to install something and can't, and several other nefarious things.

I ran Ewido and AdAware. For some reason I couldn't do it in Safe Mode, but ran them afterwards in the normal mode. I believe my system is pretty well clean of malware and trojans (Had the Zlob.d or whatever that brought Spyaxe, I guess) but as I said, I have the damage to the Registry. AdAware keeps stalling at about 40,000 files and has to be "end program not responding" terminated.

I have been reading the different messages lurking for several days and as I get time I will get to the HiJack This forum.

Thanks in advance for providing such a forum and I really appreciated how you patiently walk folks with obviously little expertise through their problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:54 AM

Everyone here, no matter how "expert" began knowing next to nothing about computers, so they understand that simple but helpful explanations are often the best.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 was

was
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

I received a disturbing e-mail today that makes me think I need to address my problems more urgently. I got a message that was filtered by Norton AntiSpam from paypal@intl.paypal.com saying my acount had been frozen due to possible unauthorized activity and I should open a new window from their message and give info. Of course I didn't respond, except to alert PayPal of possible fraud.

Personally I hardly use it, haven't in over a year, and my account holds exactly $0.00. Still it is worrisome. So I guess I am off to the HijackThis thread with my log...

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

:thumbsup: to BC! was.
That e-mail from paypal@intl.paypal.com is suspicious, even with an empty account. I'd just ignore your spam e-mails. Sometimes, the more you worry about them, the more paranoid you get and scared of the internet you become.
Be (spam) Safe

Good Luck,
yano :flowers:

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:55 AM

I got three such E-mails this week, and I don't even have a Paypal account. This is just a phishing expedition to get your personal information. Both GMail and Yahoo correctly identified these as Spam, and I deleted them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 was

was
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

I have had to learn so much about computers the last two weeks! Thank God for Bleeping Computer, I have been able to fix a number of things myself. I had to finally break down and ask my Sunday School teacher (who is a PhD at NASA) to come help me fix the final crap up. Now I am pretty much up and running clean and "silent".

Thanks again for Bleeping Computer to provide such a forum.

God Bless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users