Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card yields 'No Signal' from Monitors?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StevieG87

StevieG87

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hi!

My Nvidia GeForce 8600GT card that I have been using a few years randomly stopped giving any signal to my monitor. It had happened a few times before but a restart seemed to get it working. But no longer. I tried a different monitor with the same results, as well as using my current monitor on a different computer, and it worked. Upon startup the computer runs as if everything's fine, but the monitor only displays 'No Signal'.

I reverted to my on-board card that came with the computer, which has been working fine. But I'd like to get my better one working again. I've tried dusting out the computer and the card with a dusting air can. The strangest thing is that I tried booting the computer with both cards in (the on-board/original AND the GeForce) with the monitor plugged into the motherboard (NOT the GeForce) and I couldn't get a signal! It appears to only work when the GeForce isn't "plugged in"/attached.

A few searches have implied updating drivers (which I did occasionally when it was working), but it doesn't appear that I can update anything unless the card is actually attached? Does anyone have any suggestions/insight? Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(Additional Note: I had also read things about changing a setting in BIOS. I checked it out and my 'Primary Video Adapter' setting under 'Video Config' was on 'Auto'. Not sure if that's pertinent or not. I believe other settings were 'IGD' and 'PEG')

Edited by StevieG87, 11 May 2011 - 11:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

If you have the driver CD which came with the graphics card try uninstalling the drivers from Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel and from the Device Manager and then reinstall the drivers via the CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 StevieG87

StevieG87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

Ok I tried that. The problem is the Installation CD Setup Menu says "Installed Graphics Adapter: Not Found". And when I try to install Drivers it says "The Graphics Adapter installed in the system is not compatible with the current set of drivers". And unfortunately if I put the GeForce card in, I won't be able to see the monitor in order to install the drivers.

It seems like I should be able to have both cards in, but be using the on-board/original card without interference? Unfortunately at the moment that doesn't work.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

When you install a video card the onboard becomes disabled which is why the onblard works when the card is not in the system.

You have obviously reseated the card because you said that you took it out but double check to make sure that it is seated securely.

If possible, try the card on another system to see if it does the same thing.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 StevieG87

StevieG87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

Tried the card in a different computer. The on-board card was able to run and display properly with it seated in. But when I plugged the monitor into my card it again didn't display the signal. The card's fan is running and the computer again sounds like it's working fine.

#6 StevieG87

StevieG87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:09 AM

Anyone have any idea?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users