Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nook Color

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

Need some further feedback, advice, or help from the tech people here. I just purchased a Nook Color 3 days ago. I been on the phone with their tech support about 4 times now to help resolve my Nook Color's inability to read "PDF" files.I've updated to the latest firmware version. I've downloaded PDF files from at least 20 different websites that are reliable and know that the PDF is not corrupted and dragged and dropped the PDF's into the document folder in Nook, but it still will not read anything beyond the 1st page. These docs are public domain material, so there is no copywrite issues here. It will read the 1st page, and when you try to slide finger across screen or tough right side to turn the page, all it does is briefly show for example, "1/283" grayed out in the upper right corner and then dissappears. Not one PDF file works on my Color Nook. I read a couple Nook help forums, and they suggested that I try using a PDF conversion proggy such as cutePDF or DoPDF, in which I tried both on a couple of my PDF files and then placed the converted PDF files back onto the Nook. However, this too did not work. I tried dragging the PDF files to the book folder and the download folder to see if it would work there, but no luck.

On the Color Nook specs page, it says that "PDF", the second bleeping file type after EPUB, is a supported document that Nook will read. But, I'm not so certain this is the case.

So, to the best of anyone's knowledge, is this something that is definitely an issue with the Color Nook, or do you think I just got a bad one and need to exchange for a new one to give it another try. I have 9 days left to return the product. I want to give the product a fair chance, but thus far I am not impressed with the B&N tech support and I don't want to be stuck with yet another 1 lb paperweight.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 11 May 2011 - 01:39 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

I have put PDF files on a nook color but at the time I was using Adobe Digital Editions (PDF ebook borrowed through Overdrive). I've also put PDF ebooks onto a black & white nook by putting them in the My Document's folder, but haven't gotten to play with a color nook as much. I'm a bit puzzled by your dilemma myself.

No idea if it would matter, but would an ebook mgmt program like Calibre help? Maybe tell the nook that it's a "nook" file? Guessing here.

#3 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

I have on 2 occasions with assistance from the B&N tech support obtained help with the Adobe Digital Editions. Actually, we have basically reset the Color Nook to its factory settings two times now and reinstalled the Adobe Digital Editions back onto the drive to see if that would work, but to no avail. I also tried the Calibri program and that did not help either.

Thanks for your input though, it is greatly appreciated!
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#4 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

Unless its needed I'd avoid using Digital Editions regardless, I prefer something like Calibre that isn't dependent on restricting DRM to work, even if the titles are DRM free!

heh, any way you can argue for a replacement?

#5 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Actually this might amuse you, one of the local B&N stores has been sending people to me at the library I work at for help with their nooks. Though very few have come in with nook colors (mostly just the classic) which is why I'm so curious about the problem.

#6 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

Well,

Evidently, PDF does work on the color nook. B & N is not liable for false advertising here, "technically".
I have not had a fraction of the problems other people are having, i.e. red watermarked X's on text and graphic pages, etc. I realized, by way of help from a B & N Store Nook tech/salesperson, who demonstrated to me how to turn to pages. What you have to do on the Nook Color is use the menu bar at the bottom. Just to the right of the central menu button there is a symbol that looks like an equal = sign, but this sign has 3 lines instead of 2. You press this, and it brings up a menu bar. You have to select the "go to page" button, then another menu bar popps up in the from of a keyboard/numberpad, then you type in the page # you want to go to, then hit the "Go to" button, and it loads up the page. Before you say it, I know... what a pain the arse! It does work after all. But, the only feature controls on the screen that actually work is the pinch feature to enlarge the text. No change of font, no change of backlighting or color for day/night reading, no change of size of font etc. Most importantly, you cannot tap on left/right side of screen or finger slide to turn the page. So, is this a deal breaker for me? I'm not so sure. I only live about 1 mile from the B & N, so I can still go read tons of stuff for 1 hour free per day if I need to, and with all the other file types, EPUB, Doc, et all, it still works pretty well. It gets great Wi-Fi hook up at my home and work. So, I may decide to keep it afterall.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#7 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

THANK YOU for letting me know about issues with the nook color and PDF files, as I'm sure to get someone at some point trying to figure out why the library ebooks they borrowed won't work on their nook color (some are PDF some are EPUB), and now I'll have some clue of what to do.

Maybe it wasn't a nook color I put the PDF title on. Or maybe I put it on for them and it never worked past the first page!

#8 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

Also,

If you are able to actually find PDF files on the actual B & N webpage, other than the quickquide help and user manual, which are really PDF files that have gone through some sort of Epub converter, those actually will work like other normal documents in Nook Color and are supported with the bells and whistles(change of font, color, size etc) with normal epub files. DOC file types work really well with wrap around, and you just scroll down the page using your finger like a mouse, if your will, to get the end of a document(no nook goodies support the DOC file type however. TXT file type is primarily read only, and it too has no bells and whistles, same thing as above, just scroll down to read the text.
I think I may decide to keep the device. It certainly does have more positives than negatives. After about a year, I can always "Root it", which comes with instructions in the actual paperback User Manual you can purchase at B & N. It just takes a few minutes and steps to "jail-break" the Android engine and open up all the other abilities that have been locked out by B&N. Just be careful if you do decide to do this, because if you do so while still under warranty, and something happens to your Nook/Nook Color, and they find out about it when you attempt to get tech support, "Rooting it" will void the warranty. Just an fyi.

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 13 May 2011 - 03:41 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#9 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

If I remember correctly, the nook color default pdf page turning method is swiping the top and/or bottom of the page (don't ask me why the difference). There is also an ezpdf application now available on the B&N app store, for a fee, that is supposed to have more features, though I have not tried it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users