Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns itself on?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 La Princess

La Princess

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:01 PM

I log off, turn off, then turn off monitor...and then every so often when I pass my library/office I think that I hear it running....and it is...hibernate/safe mode (don't know the difference?) all but the monitor :thumbsup: which still my be??? be cause when I turn it on it is at the start page and my screen saver is running???

On the Power settings I have it set at Monitor after 20 minutes and all of the others are set as never.....but I thought that that just worked if I didn't power off manually??? Also since I am here....should I shut my computer off? If not, what would you suggest for the Power settings?

I also read that screen savers are not needed anymore?

Also, are mouse pads needed? I have a simple scroll/wired mouse on a small computer desk (for now) and the pad takes up a lot of space on the keyboard shelf/tray...so I was just curious as to whether they are necessary...and they really aren't that expensive to replace anyway???

Sorry so long....asking so many questions in one post :flowers:

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you so very much for your patience,

La Princess (Spooked by my possessed computer)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:44 PM

Ok for the mouse pad you have to use one unless you have a hard surface or a new optical mouse. If you dont have a optical mouse go get one you'll thank yourself later for it! There is no cleaning!

Are you using a old monitor? If not screensavers are up to you. New ones dont burn the screen into the screen(didnt come out right!).

Um your stuff about the power thing is confusing to me(no offense)
Um...is this a pc or a laptop? Just hit the start.....shutdown....(xp=turn off)
Then shutdown. It wont come back on unless its possessed! LOL
Ps if its set to when you hit power button to stand by it will not shut off anything but the monitor after the time you set it for. That might be your problem.
CGM3

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:47 PM

....should I shut my computer off?

I turn mine off every night. Been doing that since 05/2002. No problems.

I also read that screen savers are not needed anymore?

If I'm going to be away from the computer for a while, I just turn the monitor off.

are mouse pads needed?

I use an optical mouse. No mouse pad needed.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 09:26 PM

cowsgonemadd
I have a new moniter on a pc with XP SP1. I do go through start shutdown etc. and then sometimes I hear it and it has started up on its own :thumbsup: must be possessed???

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

Are you sure you aint got it on standy by or hibernate?...
If not your pc is um......
Its time for another eppisode of....
Unsolved pc mysteries! Staring CGM3 guest today is La princess!
LOL
You show it who is boss unplug the power cord when you hit shutdown!
If it comes back on please take it to church and get it prayed for!

#6 robshanahan

robshanahan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 27 October 2004 - 07:07 PM

I know my computer has a "Wake on LAN" feature that I had to disable in the BIOS. When WOL is enabled, the computer will turn itself on if it gets activity through the NIC.

This only happens if you have a WOL compliant motherboard and NIC.

Do you know what motherboard you have?

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:35 PM

If not try using AIDA program. It tells you everything about your bc down to the serial number on your ram!

#8 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 05:19 PM

If not try using AIDA program. It tells you everything about your bc down to the serial number on your ram!

Sorry it has taken so long I have not been well...I did run AIDA which I think is terrific...a lot to take in...I still don't know what kind of motherboard I have? What do I look for? It still turns itself on??

Thank you so much for any help,

La Princess

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:25 PM

Try this I just want to test. Your computer is on instead of the usual just hit the power button only! Shut it down the way you do when your mad at it! If it comes back on then we need to do more research. As for the motherboard thing on AIDA look under motherboard then motherboard again. Click on motherboard and look at the very bottom of the sliding screen thing that gives you the details. It should say MB manufacturere(bad spelling)
Mine on my old pc is made by Micro start international!

#10 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:49 PM

Oh...Duh on me :flowers: "Dell Computer Corporation" (That probably explains a lot of my/the problem(s)..j/k) I will try the test..just shut it off like I'm made at it...that won't be hard to do...hehe It really creeps me out to hear this darn thing running when I know that it is/was off...maybe my cat is using it when I'm not around and doesn't turn it off... :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help,

La Princess

#11 robshanahan

robshanahan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:30 PM

If you're feeling slightly adventurous, you can go into the BIOS and do a little exploring. Check here to find your system for instructions on entering the BIOS (or system setup, or whatever you want to call it).

Look around for the boot menu, then see if there is a power on lan setting (or any other power on settings). Make sure any settings are listed as "stay off" or ignore.

#12 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2004 - 11:44 AM

Oh no, a great big :flowers: I have AVG and it is set to run a scan at a set time...it has never ran at the scheduled time, I don't remember the error message I got way back when..I would just run it manually..usually daily..if I was on. I had the SP2 then went back to SP1 don't know if something that involved the problem with scheduling error was repaired with this change :trumpet: ...but it now turns itself on and runs the scan at the scheduled times :thumbsup:

Thanks to all for the help,

La Princess

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:17 PM

LOL looks like your pc doesnt have a mind of its own!
Funny though I have never had my pc turn itself on for a program??
Glad it all worked out for you! We all had a little fun and a scare there!

#14 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:05 PM

Funny though I have never had my pc turn itself on for a program??

Ummm....it turns out that it was wishful thinking :thumbsup: it still is doing it and it turns out that I just happen to notice it at the time when it was running the scan....I have noticed it only does it M-F not on weekends :trumpet: I guess I will go into the BIOS and have a look around :flowers:
I have Spyware Blaster, AVG, Sygate firewall, Spybot S&D, Spy Assassin, CW Shredder, Pop-Up Blocker etc. Could something/someone be getting in/or in and doing it? This is really irritating, as well as creepy...

Thanks again,

La Princess

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:27 PM

Ok thats is officially weird! Ok when it turns on by "itself" when you move the mouse (the screensaver is on right? if not its ok) what programs are running?? Maybe defrag or scandisk?

I just did some research I have not read all of this but check it out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7591-0.html?f...essageID=233134

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 09 November 2004 - 03:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users