Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

texting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Murrar

Murrar

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

I don't understand "texting". Isn't it easier to dial the person that you want to contact rather than looking at the small numbers to punch in on the cell phone? Thank you for your response. Murrar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

Sometimes I don't need a response to a message. Sometimes the person I need to give information is unable to answer the phone due to some circumstances such as a meeting or Dr appt. I could be limited for time and don't have the time for a conversation if they pick up. I may not want to leave a message if it's confidential information. It's just another way to transmit information 160 characters at a time.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

I have to agree with everything Animal pointed out. I text mostly with my wife, whose schedule & meetings don't always allow her to be near a phone, so I almost always give her updates (house/dog/issues with the water heater, blah, blah) - or she sends me one and we almost always include the NNTR (no need to reply).

Just as an aside, we've just recently began texting, so it's new to us, but it's been really helpful, esp. with some family medical problems we've had to deal with.

I didn't really understand it either until I started using it, and now it's just become a handy way to communicate.

I feel compelled to also include that we're no spring chickens, we don't use other forms of social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and we don't check our email on our phones...but we do text.

And as for the 160 character limit, well, we've also ventured into the realm of VoiceSMS, which is super handy when I need/want to send her a long rambling message.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 CustomiZer

CustomiZer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

In my case texting is free while a call will require me to pay and texting is quite fast in a non-touch and non-qwerty phone.
~ CustomiZer
When there is a will there is a way. If there is no way then make one.

Posted Image

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:40 PM

I like it, because it allows me to ignore my phone and get back to it later. I drive truck for a living, and I dont like being on my phone when Im driving, so I tell all my friends if you have something you want to ask me/tell me, text me, and I can get to it when Im stopped (like when im waiting to be loaded/getting fuel/etc) and only call if its urgent. a phone call requires more immediate attention, and even if I let it go to voicemail, I then have to check said voicemail, which takes time. so unless its urget, I prefer people text me, that way I can ignore said text until a time when it is safe (keyword there, I get so sick of people texting and driving. morons) and convenient for me to do so.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:32 AM

I like it, because it allows me to ignore my phone and get back to it later. I drive truck for a living, and I dont like being on my phone when Im driving, so I tell all my friends if you have something you want to ask me/tell me, text me, and I can get to it when Im stopped (like when im waiting to be loaded/getting fuel/etc) and only call if its urgent. a phone call requires more immediate attention, and even if I let it go to voicemail, I then have to check said voicemail, which takes time. so unless its urget, I prefer people text me, that way I can ignore said text until a time when it is safe (keyword there, I get so sick of people texting and driving. morons) and convenient for me to do so.

I don't know if you realise but their is actually those hands free devices, where you can talk without physically hold the phone itself. For my phone plan, the calling rates are high so i text more then call.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

oh I know, I have a blue tooth headset, but often its a pain to talk even on that since my windows down. theres even voice to text, but you still have to pick up the phone to read the texts. I dont necessarily have a huge huge issue with talking on the phone when driving-as long as im on the highway and what not, its mainly the people who text and drive that get under my skin.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

At this point in life texting is almost a necessary evil. Then again, most of my phone conversations can be done with 4 short texts, I am not a conversationalist.

What the_patriot needs Cobra 29 WX/NW/BT. :rofl:

I've installed a couple and they're better priced then most of the radios out there. I'll just stick with my Uniden 78LTD/WX until I can afford a new Galaxy though.

Posted Image

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

lol buddy of mine had one of those, and if I was a owner operator, Id probably invest in one. Big part of it with me though, is I just plain dont like talking on the phone. I dont much care for texting either, in fact if it wernt for the fact Its a job requirement, I wouldnt even have a cell phone. That being said, I have to have one so I have to have one with all the bells and whistles, and I can talk on the phone and drive safely at the same time, and I got no issues with most others that do it as well, its just the texting and driving that aggrevates me lol.

picard5.jpg

#10 T3h H4r3

T3h H4r3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

I love texting. I have had a texting plan ever since I had a cell phone, going on almost 10 years now. Texting is very convenient to just say hey or whats up to someone who you do not know if they will be able to answer the phone or not. Its easy to check a text on a break at work or whenever and get back to them without creating a lot of noise or distractions.(mainly if you are inside somewhere)

#11 Audrenae Hunt

Audrenae Hunt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi Murrar,

Texting is a lot quicker and easier because others don't have time to talk on the phone for 30 minutes when you can just ask the same questions in a tx that would only last about five minutes if the person response fast. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Audrenae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users