Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite Loop - ATI Issue?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Feiton

Feiton

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:03 AM

Hi,

I recently built a new machine for the home to play some games and such.

So far everything's been smooth. Than last week I've gotten this error/BSOD 3 times in two different forms on various days.

This error seems to be an infinite loop that may be caused by my ATI card.

Here's my recent error:

0x000000EA - 0x89194020 0x899331E8 0xBA4E3CBC 0x00000001

Prior to this I got an error/BSOD that stated ati2dvag Infinite Loop.

Here are my PC stats:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core
MB: BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Mem: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
HD: 500 Gb
Video: HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
PSU: Rosewill 500 W

I've uninstalled drivers 2x - Replacing the one from the CD with the latest and then removing the latest and putting the recommended driver from the HIS website site (XP_8.801-101125a-109807C-ATI).

From some google searches it seems to be an overall ATI issue or am I wrong and there is something I can do to remedy this?

Would love some feedback as I am still within my return/refund time period.

Thanks in advance for your time and help,
Feiton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

I would uninstall all video drivers...via both Device Manager and Add/Remove Programs. That includes Catalyst or any other related software package installed initially from the CD or which you downloaded and installed relative to that card.

I would then use the drivers which came on the CD, not the most current ones. The drivers on the CD are known to work with that card.

My experience with ATI cards...led me to the above suggestions.

Louis

#3 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:44 AM

I would also suggest to use Driver Sweeper .... http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html ... a very useful and easy to use utility,DO NOT RUN IT YET!!!. Uninstall your ATI drivers through Add/Remove Programs then re-boot into safemode (F8)....

YOU MUST COMPLETE THESE STEPS IN SAFEMODE....

1.)Open Driver Sweeper and select all of the boxes that have ATI next to them.

2.)Click on Analyze.

3.)Click on Clean ... Run the Clean Button 2x as this will clear up any risidual leftovers.

Re-boot your machine into normal windows enviroment and click out of any "Found New Hardware" prompts... go ahead and install the drivers for your ATI card from your disc.

Attached File  ATI sweeper.png   170.47KB   1 downloads

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#4 Feiton

Feiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

@hamluis - Thanks for your response. I believe this to be true also. What of what the HIS site suggest? Ignore those and stick to the CD anyway?

@odin88 - Thanks you also. Going to dl that proggie and get started when I get back from work tonight.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

CD, yes.

When I had my series of ATI AIWs...I found that the ATi driver approach (one size fits all) just didn't work for me. The drivers which came with the cards never failed me, unless there was file corruption/damage...in which case, I uninstalled everything related and then reinstalled as if I had just inserted the card.

It's possible that what I imagined was confined to the AIW series...but I think there is enough documentation about ATI driver problems...that my reasoning is somewhat valid :).

Louis

#6 Feiton

Feiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:21 AM

Hi,

As I try to uninstall the ATI drivers and associated programs - I get a File Needed Prompt for many different files. I can find them all but they are not located where the uninstall believes them to be. Does this alter any of the steps provided for me above?

------------

Edit: I end up pressing cancel on trying to find those files. The uninstall completed. Rebooted into Safemode. I ran Drive Wiper 2x. In the end prior to installing the driver on the CD, I found 2 files that refused to be deleted:

ati2evxx.dll
atiadlxx.dll

The CD Driver is installed. I'm off of work today. I will be running bench test and playing some games here and there to get this up and running. If I can't get this resolved by the 15th, I'll be sending it back and getting and Nvidia card.

Edited by Feiton, 12 May 2011 - 07:06 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

Some files cannot be removed if related processes are still running in Task Manager.

See http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=139372 .

Louis

#8 Feiton

Feiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

@hamluis - Thanks for the tip. Well, I removed it all and put the stuff from the original CD. I think this should be stable. Going to be running some games from here to the 15th to test it as best as I can.

The error usually only pops up during an initialization of a game not during. So I don't know if there is a way to test for the error outside of playing games over and over again.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

No problem with empirical testing in my world :).

If the errors come again, back to the drawing board...that's the way to approach it.

Louis

#10 Feiton

Feiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

Well,

The error occurred again today. I was playing games fine. Then I went to work. Had the computer in sleep mode. Woke it up. Click a game to run. BSOD when it tried to open the game.

This site describes the error in finer detail. http://www.modernstreet.com/general/ati2dvag-problem/ <- Could this PCI to PCI thing be the issue?

I contacted CS for HIS and they asked me to try another driver before sending it in.

Going to try this last driver but any further insight would be appreciated. Going to be looking for an Nvidia equivalent also.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

I can't evaluate that link you posted...I've already provided my view and experiences.

I don't personally consider blogs to be a good source of valid info, with the exception of those maintained/provided by known, qualified computer personnel.

IMO...it's pretty common for all video drivers...to possibly develop problems. If you use Google and insert a phrase like "nVidia problems" or "ATI problems", you will see many topics.

If the hardware manufacturer is interacting, there's no reason (IMO) to fool with it anymore.

FWIW: I find it easier to check for known problems or idiosyncracies...with hardware or manufacturer...before I buy the product.

Louis

#12 Feiton

Feiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Yes, when I did research on this card. There was no info like the problem. I checked out links from places like Tom's Hardware and Anandtech. I've installed the Tech supports driver and benched a few games but I think the real test will be tomorrow and the next day.

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2011 - 09:32 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users