Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire needs re-birth

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 I am the Walrus

I am the Walrus

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:07 AM

My daughter just returned from Iraq with her husband with her Acer Aspire 3002lci and is unable to log on due to neither on of them remembering the password since the laptop was stored away from them and didn't use. I attempted to re-install XP Pro since it has XP Home already installed. I believe in the setup I opted to install a partition thinking that was correct(riigghht). Well everything seemed fine at first but I now it seems that partition was where Pro is installed and is not large enough and receive low HD space warnings. I tried to reinstall windows by booting from the XP disc but I am not giving the opportunity to change the partition. I don't know enough about this laptop to know where next to turn. Both Home and Pro are installed but I can't log onto Home without the log-in information and Pro is amazing slow for the obvious for mentioned reasons. What are her options? I have come to you many times in the past for help and have never been disappointed or without answered questions. Thank you in advance for your time and insight.
Regards, Walrus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

You can use a program like Ophcrack to find or change the password.

You can read a tutorial for this here.

Once you gain access to the computer you can try to delete the partition you created. Since you weren't able to complete the installation it may not be recognized as a dynamic volume.

You will need to open Disk Management. The easiest way is to go to Start> Run and type in, or copy and paste diskmgmt.msc and then press Enter.

Right click on the partition that you added. A menu will open with the option to Delete Partition, if it is grayed out is being recognized as a dynamic volume. If it displays Delete Partition in the menu you can click on it to delete the partition.

There is a way to delete the partition if it is a dynamic volume, but you run the risk of deleting the whole operating system by trying this. I would suggest learning to live with the partition in this case.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

you could try hitting f8 on boot up, and going to safe mode ,and if there is a administrator acct chose it ,it should not be pass-worded ,you could then go to control panel and users ,and remove the password from the acct you daughter had setup ,reboot

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 I am the Walrus

I am the Walrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thank you very much one and all for your incite-full and always dead on help, Walrus

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

your welcome,enjoy

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users