Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Xp Home Safely

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Newbietobleeping

Newbietobleeping

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:40 AM

Hello,

I'm 99.9% sure I have to reinstall XP home b/c a virus (or something) totally destroyed my internet connection. I've tried all methods to get rid of the virus but my int. conn. cannot be reinstalled (I'm talking about the software, not the modem- it seems fine). My files seem to be all intact and okay. Any suggesstions on how to go about the reinstall safely (i.e. not letting the virus back in), or will the reinstall take care of any viruses, etc?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:06 AM

You may have a Winsock corruption, which is common after removal of certain viruses (virii?). One tool that might help you can be found HERE.

A Microsoft Knowledge Base article on the subject can be found HERE.

If you do end up reinstalling Windows, it is a good idea to wipe out all of the data using a free program called KillDisk. It can be downloaded HERE. That should remove any traces of a virus or other malicious software that you might have on your hard drive. Another point - be careful in reinstalling your data as it may contain the virus, too. If you have more questions or problems with reinstalling, feel free to ask them here at Bleeping Computer!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

Hi, Newbie.

I doubt that a repair install will rid you of any viruses. And a clean install will require reinstalling everything. Before you try that, have you tried to run LSP fix? It will repair your winsock and restore connectivity in many cases. LSP fix

#4 Newbietobleeping

Newbietobleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to go and try those out right now (fixing the winsock error). I'll let you know what happens.

#5 Newbietobleeping

Newbietobleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

Sigh... I tried the winsock fix: didn't work. So, I'm about to ask a question so stupid that I can't even believe I'm going to ask it, but here goes. (Well, an explanation first, then the question).

I didn't have a WinXP CD when I bought my PC b/c XP came preinstalled. So, I called the store where I bought it and long story short, the tech guy gave me a burned copy of an "XP Recovery" CD for free (on the sly, of course, b/c their policy required me to bring the PC in and have them do it for 50 bucks). He said that this CD will reinstall XP after I've formatted my drive.

Okay, now it's time for the stupid question. What exactly am I supposed to do with this CD? I've tried placing it in the machine and starting it up, and nothing happens. I've tried running it once I've logged in, and nothing happens. I've opened the CD and there's tons of files, but nothing I've clicked on starts anything. There's an Autorun notepad file, which says "Open=explorer". I ran that command under the "run" function, and it just takes me to the windows explorer file. The other issue might be that I have an external CD/DVD drive on my PC b/c the CD drive my PC came with hasn't worked properly in a long time, would that be causing problems? (The external drive is fine and the PC reads discs just fine).

Actually, I just thought of stupid question #2: am I supposed to format the hard drive myself before I run the CD? If so, how am I supposed to do that?

Thanks for your patience and help!

#6 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

You should first check your Boot Options under the Bios to see if your first Boot is from CD-Rom. Boot options is to select F2 or it will show when u boot up. It should bring u to the boot menu

Insert your CD, and while booting up, it should run your CD and this is when they will prompt you that all DATA will be erase and continue to install winXP so do u want to continue.

If you are sure u noe what u are doing, then select YES.

Back up any Data that u need before running the CD as i have said...once you run it, there is no turning back.....

Any problem get back here.

Edited by ZENER, 05 January 2006 - 08:32 PM.

The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users