Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What have I done?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cathryn33

Cathryn33

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

I have been tinkering with the website for my kids' school and all of a sudden it won't work any more. The day before, I moved the site to a wordpress blog so that people other than myself would be able to edit the content. Over the course of the day, I was adding in the content from the old site and everything was running fine, apart from a minor problem with the image uploader which was okay as long as I used the browser version and not the flash.

However, I had to upload a bunch of images for a gallery page and thought I'd just try the flash uploader again. The files all got stuck on Crunching, then the "HTTP error" came up in red. I had previously been googling on the issue and found a fix that added some lines to the .htaccess, so went into Filezilla to check whether the .htaccess file still had the lines in it, using the View/Edit option from the right-click menu. The lines were there still and I closed the file without saving.

At this point the dinner alarm went off so I was away for a couple of hours with the family. When I came back, the site wouldn't load and hasn't loaded since. The error I get is "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to ..." I thought the web host might be having a hiccup so didn't stress too much, refreshed a few times and did some other things while I was waiting. But all night, the same thing. Tested in Firefox, IE, same thing. Used another computer, same thing. And again this morning. Then I (just then) tested it on Safari on my phone with wi-fi turned off and it loaded.

Hmm. When I started posting, what I was going to say next is that I can access the files via FileZilla and can load the cPanel page, just can't load any web files in a browser. I made a basic test html file in case in was the index.php from wordpress but that doesn't work either. Files in subfolders don't load either.

However, the point now seems to be narrowed down to the fact that I can't load on my IP address, since it works via 3G on the phone but not on two computers connected to my network. Or the other thing the two computers have in common that the phone doesn't is that they are both running Windows 7.

I googled again and did a ipconfig /flushdns from the command prompt, which didn't resolve the problem either.

The problem is, I'm only halfway through re-adding the content and was hoping to get it done last night before anyone noticed the difference, so I really would like to get it working. Hoping someone can give me a quick fix to this or let me know who I should contact to resolve it (ie my ISP or the web host - not much chance of the latter).

Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Actually, I was wrong about it working on my phone. The Home page loads but all the links return a "Not Found. The requested URL /classrooms was not found on this server." error.

Damn.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

Could you give the site's address?

#4 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

[address removed] you know, in case someone googles it and find out how incompetent I am!

Edited by Cathryn33, 10 May 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#5 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

I checked it and it works fine :lol:

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

I checked it and it works fine :lol:

I did as well. The home page is fine.

But an getting the same 404 errors as mentioned when checking several of the links.

#7 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for replies.

So it seems I have two problems.

Problem 1: From my home network, anything located within the school webspace lags on loading and then fails to load. Including non-wordpress files, [address removed]

Problem 2: From "other-than-my-home-network", wordpress pages aren't working properly, which is possibly something I should chase up on the wordpress forum. index.php and test.html work fine. HTML files in subfolders, non-wordpress related, work fine.

Both problems started at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas regarding problem 1? I'm going to reboot the modem and see if that helps!

Edited by Cathryn33, 10 May 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#8 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

Okay, rebooting fixed the home network problem, so I guess the other problem is something I need to chase up with Wordpress. Thanks and sorry for wasting your time!

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

Never a waste. Just wish we had been of more help.

Perhaps a Member with some experience in website development, wordpress, etc will read this and be able to lend a hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users