Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advise Beforet Replacing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 rickgburton

rickgburton

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

I was hoping some one could give me some advise before I screw something up. I have a custom built computer and had XP installed on it. About 8 months ago it crashed on me due to a buggy registry cleaner (lesson learned) he registry hive was corrupt and after several attempts at a repair install and just before a complete re-installation of windows XP I made the decision to wait and install windows 7. I want a bigger hard drive so If I purchase a new hard drive along with Windows 7, can I just remove the old hard drive and give it, along with windows XP, a decent burial then install the new hard drive then install windows 7? I have a Gigabyte PCI Express motherboard with the Intel core 2 duo 6320 and 2 gigs of RAM, Invidia 8600 gts graphics card and sound blaster x-fi platinum sound card. As long as I'm getting rid of the hard drive won't that take care of my XP problems for good? Thanks for your time! Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

Id recommend getting more RAM, and the rest of your system should suffice.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

One other thing.

No need to bury the troubled drive. :rip: Once you have the new drive with Win7 installed connect the old drive as a secondary\storage drive.
Format it in NTFS to eliminate all retirements of the previous OS and your all set.

Purely an option. Just seem`s a waste to trash a working hard drive.

#4 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the quick response. How much more RAM would you recommend? To me a decent burial just means a new home in a box with the VCR, turntable and countless remote controls. I can't throw anything out. I might need it some day...lol. Thanks again for the advise.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

Got a box that sounds very similar in content. :lol:

IMO. At least another Gig. 2 would be better.

If it is Windows 7 64 then more if you wish. But probably unnecessary.

#6 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

OK an extra 2 gigs of RAM sounds good (Windows 7 32). When I gave up on the XP repair, I turned off the computer and that was about 8 months ago. Is there anything I have to do before I replace the HD and turn it back on? I appreciate your help. Rick

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

Nope.

While the PC is still off, remove the old hard drive. Install the new one. Along with any new memory you may have gotten. Or you can install the memory after Win7 is installed. Your option.

Start the PC with the Win 7 disk in the optical drive and follow the on screen instructions.

You should be good to go.
Any problems, be sure to post back.

#8 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

OK Thats the best news I've had this week. One more thing, I've got PNY RAM in both my laptop and the other one. I haven't had any problems so I guess I'll stick with that brand. My optical drive is Samsung Writemaster and thinking about upgrading to one that supports blu ray. Got any recommendations? I don't anticipate any problems but if I do I'll be sure to post back. This is one of the few sites I can rely on when I do have a problem or question. I'm an old man and on behalf of a lot of us old guys, we thank you for taking the time to help us.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

If you have had good experience with a product then by all means no need to change in mid-stream.

When it comes to memory, while sometimes you can get away with a mix and match, it is usually suggested to stay with the same type.

Regarding the blu-ray. That is an upgrade I have`t made yet. Sorry, can not make any recommendations.

It`s BC`s pleasure to be here to assist.
We do the best we can.

#10 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

http://cid-a235c39fb84f71b4.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/motherboard%5E_productimage%5E_ga-965g-ds3%5E_rev20%5E_big.jpg

OK I got the new hard drive installed. WD Caviar Black SATA (1 Terabyte). Windows 7 professional is my choice but it turns out it's $100 more than I expected. The $199 I've been seeing is for the upgrade version and since I'm starting with a new hard drive I need the full version. So it's going to be another week before I can get it. The link is for a picture of my motherboard on skydrive. I'm going to upgrade the memory and I could use your advice again. My Gigabyte motherboard has 4 memory slots and right now it has 2 gigabytes of RAM, 2 X 1gigs DDR2 sticks. I will take your advice and double that to 4 gigs of memory. Would it be best to buy a matched set 2 x 2gigs or buy another matched set 2 x 1gig and add it to the 2 gigs still installed. My thinking is if I buy the matched set 4gigs (2 sticks 2gigs each) I still have the capability to upgrade to a total of 8gigs in the future. For now I'm not going to upgrade my optical drive and just stick with the one I have. You said to put the windows7 DVD in the optical drive before I plug it in and turn it on. Is that so it will boot from the DVD or will I have to set that when the boot screen appears? Am I still on the right track? Thanks again for your time!

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan.

Regarding the memory. Unless you ever change to a 64 bit operating system, you will never need or have support for more then 4G. Even though the mobo will support up to 8G.
Still, I have read there is a little performance increase by running 2x2G as opposed to 4x1G. Plus you eliminate the possible problems that mismatched memory may cause.

In the end the decision is up to you and your pocketbook.

Regarding the install. By default mobos are normally set to check the optical drive first. If not, most Gigabyte boards give the option to enter a "one boot order" by pressing a fx key. You will be able to choose the optical drive there and it will boot from it on this one occasion.

Edited by ThunderZ, 12 May 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#12 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

OK, no plans for 64 bit OS. I'm going to replace the memory sticks installed with a matched set 4 gig ddr2 (2 x 2G) When it comes to RAM do you have a brand preference or look for the best deal? Thanks for you help, so far it's going smooth and that makes me a little nervous. With me things rarely go right the first time...lol

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Several good brands come to mind.

Many here like Crucial. Patriot, Mishkin, Corsair, and Kingston come to mind.
It`s sort of like car brands. Some swear by a certain brand. Others will swear at the very same brand.

Go with the best deal you can find with one of the above mentioned brands and you should be all set.

#14 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:05 AM

I will agree with you there! Every store I went to had a different opinion on RAM. I took your advice and went with the same brand I have now, only because I haven't had any problems. All my computers have Corsair RAM so someone must have convinced me that was a good brand.

I went with these: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C 4GB XMS2 PC2-6400 800Mhz 240-pin Dual Channel DDR2 Desktop Memory

I've been doing a little research on Windows 7 and best I can tell there's not much difference between the Home, Professional, and Ultimate versions. I only speek English and I don't need Bit locker so that eliminates Ultimate. I don't need to connect to a company network. The only difference between Home version and Professional version,that might matter,is XP mode. (And $100) I don't know if I need that or not. Windows 7 home premium full version is the same price I thought windows 7 professional was before I found out it was W7 Professional upgrade. Now I'm trying to decide if having XP mode is worth $100. It seemed like there was a big difference between WindowsXP Home and WindowsXP Professional but Windows7 I'm not sure yet.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:59 AM

Here is what I recommend: Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and see what version is right for your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users