Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro gets to "Windows is Starting" stays there 15 minutes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 copakeman

copakeman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

i am running xp pro sp3 with the latest updates installed. i have 2 gig mem, 9.3 gig free space on C:. about 2 weeks ago, when i powered on, xp went through its bios, the next normal screen came up, it said Windows is Starting. my xp stays there for 15 to 20 minutes before it completes installing and starts running my startup programs. when completely up, my xp does not run windows slow, it seems normal speed. i dont know what it's doing in the windows is starting screen.
i have run kaspersky, super antispyware, and malwarebytes scans. malware found 23 virus' and trojans which mwb deleted. it didnt change my long wait for xp to run. i dont remember doing any chanes to my system. the last thing i did was delete aol using the xp control panel, that was a few weeks ago.

i have disabled all devices in bios except the c: drive.

i scaned malwarebytes in safemode after it initially found malware, it scanned with no malware found.

i can get to safe mode (slowly)

i can get to bios

i can get to the f11 screen to choosre an input device.

none of those helped.

do i have enough free space on c: ?
i dont know how to diagnose this problem.
i dont know, of course, whats causing it.

all suggestions will be appreciated here.

thank you
c

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

There is a lot of information which is lacking which will help us assist you, to that end please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can help you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 copakeman

copakeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1GEevS4nbdmcUMhyvwyZnTA

#4 copakeman

copakeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

ty for the program. i didnt know what exactly was neeeded for anyone to help. i hope
that file will give someone a clue. i know i run a xp repair, i hope i dont have to.
i just did another super antisw scan, no problem detected.
c

my internet is not to stable, my modem keeps droping the internet connection. i dont know the
reason yet.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

Since the first hdd in the Speccy is a 2.5 it looks like this is a laptop and is your C: drive. The capacity of this hdd is listed as 78GB. A hdd of this size should have at least fifteen percent free space on it, with a 78GB hdd that would be 11.7GB, you have 9.3GB of free space. This could be contributing to your problem.

Another thing that could be slowing things up is AOL. Right... you uninstalled. You will be surprised how much is left after it is uninstalled, and what pain it can be to completely remove. There are people that do this for a living, and they will first suggest reinstalling the operating system because this is such a pain to remove. You can try removing what's left by running a search for AOL, America Online, and AOL Instant Messenger. Go to Start> Search and click on All file and folders. When the next page opens type in your search title (AOL...) and then click on search. When you do a search for AOL be sure that what you delete is related to America Online. You can right click and choose properties to see if it is. You can delete these by right clicking and choosing Delete. Some items may need to have other items deleted before you can delete them.

Because you have only posted the use of Malware Bytes being used I would suggest that you follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this thread and ask.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 copakeman

copakeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

hi dc3, i moved a lot of files to a 3rd hdd. that hdd is hooked up thru a usb port and usually powered off.
i now have 14.2g free space on c:/ i still have the exact same problem.

why would my c:/ look like a laptop ? could the indication that my system may be interpreting my pc as a laptop, cause my problem ?

"Since the first hdd in the Speccy is a 2.5 it looks like this is a laptop and is your C: drive" your comment.

I found 3 files named AOL, 1 AOLDiag, I copied them to the 3rd drive renamed them and deleted the originals. they all had the same creation date, 5 17 2010. the AOLDiag had a folder named IMAppServiceUSMG, that had a folder WIN32, that contained 3 folders called 7.2.6.1, 7.2.7.2 and 7.5.8.2. i did a google search on the imapp name and came up with quite a few hits indicating this folder might be a problem. i am decyphering the google hits now. does/did that file contain a virus/trojan ?

i am going to restart my pc now.

ty again

c

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

The last suggestion in my last post was to open a topic in the Am I Infected forum, you should do this.

#8 copakeman

copakeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

ok will do. the restart was a NORMAL restart !!! it did NOT hesitate at the Windows is Starting screen. The AOLDiag folder
must have some malicious code in it. I will open a topic in the Am I Infected forum. my primary anti virus is Kaspersky, backed up with Super Anti Spyware, neither programs scans found anything. free malwarebyte found 23 problems, which were deleted. none of them detected any thing wrong with the AOLDiag folder or contents. none of my av's had anything entered by me, in the exlude, trusted, ignore portions
of the programs. A few days ago i found an exclude of %system host% in kaspersky, which i deleted from the program. i am going to the ami infected forum now.
thank you for all your help. #2%*&^&**AOL !!!!
c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users