Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy cold start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Train2104

Train2104

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

Powerspec PC from 2005 w/ Pentium D and XP Media Center.

When I start it up "cold" (i.e. off for at least 4 hours), the computer starts with a loud fan noise. After about 45 seconds to 1 minute, the noise begins to taper off to normal. This does not happen if the computer is started when it is warm. The problem began a couple of years ago, but it has gotten worse progressively. What could be happening? Vacuuming the PC doesn't help, although I didn't open up anything other than the side cover.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

Can you give us the complete make & model of the system please.

Most likely the noise you hear is a fan. My guess would be the power supply fan.
It may just need to be cleaned.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Train2104

Train2104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

Can you give us the complete make & model of the system please.

Most likely the noise you hear is a fan. My guess would be the power supply fan.
It may just need to be cleaned.

It is a fan. But why is it only making noise when it's cold?

Powerspec MCE520

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

The question is how cold are we talking about.

My house gets down in the fifties F in the winter if I forget to bank the wood stove which results in the fan on the PCU running much faster than normal until it warms to a normal operating temperature. I'm guessing that the resistance of the thermistor or diode (the thermal sensor at the base of the CPU) which will indicate an increase in temperature will also reflect an opposite reaction with a severe lower temperature causing the fan speed to increase.

Edited by dc3, 10 May 2011 - 06:26 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Train2104

Train2104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

The question is how cold are we talking about.

My house gets down in the fifties F in the winter if I forget to bank the wood stove which results in the fan on the PCU running much faster than normal until it warms to a normal operating temperature. I'm guessing that the resistance of the thermistor or diode (the thermal sensor at the base of the CPU) which will indicate an increase in temperature will also reflect an opposite reaction with a severe lower temperature causing the fan speed to increase.

Temperature of the room will not affect it much. Like a car, it starts better when it hasn't been shut down for too long. Comparing summer to winter (58 to 80 degrees), the winter is a bit louder, but very little. The summer start is still noisy.

When the computer is under heavy load and the processor heats up, the problem does NOT come back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users