Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Most Of My Picture Folders are Empty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zircon_215

Zircon_215

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

Help! Last week a window masquerading as a true windows screen but with four interlocking puzzle pieces as a logo in the upper left corner made an appearance on my computer screen. I have been sort of aware of this type of crap before so assumed it was some type of Malware, but Ctrl-Alt-Del wouldn't get rid of it. I had to turn the computer off to get rid of it, turned it back on and restored it to a previous date. Everything seemed ok.

On a previous computer I had had Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot running, so I did a search for Ad-Aware. Ended up at cnet, a site I was familiar with and trusted ... downloaded it ... or so I thought ... and ran it. I don't actually see it anywhere. I see Undeleter ... a yellow an orange life preserver logo.

Then I discovered a LOT of my photographs had disappeared ( a few folders of which I had saved to disk, but only a few) all but a few of my bookmarks had disappeared as well, my free version of Capture NX which had been bundled with my Nikon D300 won't work any more, and God knows what else.

I really think the Undeleter download did it. But maybe it was the Windows Recovery Malware. I right clicked and did a 'Restore previous versions' of some of my picture folders. Got back quite a few, but there's still a ton missing. There were two days I could recover those files from. Now those two days are gone, and the other days that are there, the folders are empty and I can't recover anything from them, of course.

Man, would I just love to have the pr**ks in front of me who developed this piece of s**t! Just for a minute! Unlike the old saying, revenge would be a dish best served hot ... no planning just give me an old Louisville Slugger and we'd see how many legs would remain unbroken.

Anyway, is there any chance at all, that I can get the rest of my photographs back. And yes, I do back up my photographs. I am an amateur photographer. I take a lot of photographs. I've had external hard drives crash, but never lost a thing because I'd backed them up on DVD's ... loads of them. I just hadn't had the time to get to the ones on this new computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... more than greatly appreciated ... you'd have a friend for life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

Ended up at cnet, a site I was familiar with and trusted ... downloaded it ... or so I thought ... and ran it. I don't actually see it anywhere. I see Undeleter ...I really think the Undeleter download did it.

CNET is a reputable site but like many similar sites their is a lot of advertising and offers to download software. When you such sites, you have to be careful of the links you click to ensure you are downloading the program you want.

The missing files can be indicative of a side effect from some rogue applications which changes file attributes to "hidden", making them appear invisible so the user thinks their files have been deleted.

Please download unhide.exe by Grinler and save to your Desktop. Double-click on the file to run the tool.

After running it, all files will have the "hidden" attribute removed. This includes files that are normally hidden by the operating system and any files you may have intentionally hidden. The tool is designed not to remove hidden attribute for system files. When done you will need to restore the hidden attributes to those files manually. To do that, open Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View and make that change there.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Zircon_215

Zircon_215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thanks, but I was already about to post this: OK! Getting my files back! Here's what I did. Right clicked on a file, chose Properties and saw by the size that the contents were still there! Went to Control Panel, Folder Options, View and clicked "Show hidden files, folders and drives". Went back to my picture folders ... low and behold they are still there ... but still faint ... half hidden. Clicked a file, saw it had the hidden box checked (the Folders Options button had only half unhid them). So I clikled the first picture, scrolled to the last one in the folder, shift-left mouse button to select them all, right clicked, hit properties, took the check mark out of the "Hidden" box ... and Viola! Folder is restored. By the way, checking the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" in the Folder Options also broght back the restore points for the folders that had been missing. Didn't need them then, though.

Obviously I have a virus, though, so I'm still going to need some help. But, I do have those precious potographs back. Hope this helps someone.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

unhide.exe would have done all the work for you.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (v1.50.1) and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on the setup file to install, then follow these instructions for doing a Quick Scan in normal mode.
  • Don't forget to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning.
Malwarebytes' may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • After completing the scan, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes' when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes' encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes' from removing all the malware.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as you may need to rename it or use RKill by Grinler.

#5 Zircon_215

Zircon_215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hi. Clicked your link. Got taken to the Malewarebytes' Anti-Maleware site. Clicked 'Download Now' and got taken to the cnet site. Clicked "Download Now" on that page. Then got taken to another cnet page with a red "Start Download" button. Clicked that. Got taken to another page where I get the message 'Your Download is ready' and a green button saying 'Download now' ... only problem is, it's for ARO 2011!!!

What the heck is going on here? Is this cnet site trustworthy? It would appear not. After the first fiasco mentioned above, I contacted them. They never even bothered to reply.

What now?

Thanks!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

I just tried the link and it was redirected to Major Geeks so use that.
http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756

CNET is a reputable & authorized download site for Malwarebytes but with all the advertising, the correct download link can get confusing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users