Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot sick computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 cmrisner

cmrisner

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

Hello

Basically I can't boot-up windows in normal or safe modes.

I posted here a while back with a similar issue with a different laptop.
Prior Post

Unfortunately in that case I had to use the backup partition and lose all my friend's data :(

This time its my fiancee's laptop. She said it was running really slow right before she became unable to boot it up and that she got a couple of blue screen error messages (although I don't know exactly what blue screen error message she got since I have been unable to replicate that experience thus far on her laptop).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be as kind to me as Bleepin'Blonde was the last time I posted and help me with this issue?

Oh, and the OS is Windows XP.

Thanks
Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

Please confirm that you are still in need of help.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Yes, I am still interested in some help. I understand that you have a lot of requests, thank you for your reply. Hopeful you can help me soon because I am running low on time to repair this laptop.

I await your reply.

Thanks

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

Sorry for the delay, I've asked for help from some experts with unbootable PCs and am just awaiting for one of them to take over your topic :)

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

Hi Chad, sorry for the delay.

Can you explain me in a bit more detail what happens when you start the computer?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:41 AM

Hi again Elise,

Thanks for the reply. Well when you try to boot the computer in safe mode it freezes after mup.sys. When trying to boot in normal mode, it hangs on the screen with the windows logo and the progress bar below.

Of course I tried booting with last known good config, that didn't work. I also tried using the XP discs to repair, but it won't load windows setup, it freezes there too. I tried it with two separate windows xp discs. I ran a diagnostic on the cd-rom drive and the memory but they checked out okay.

My fiancee says she got a blue screen error the first time it failed to boot windows normally, but I haven't seen it myself.

It might seem like I have a lot of computer problems, but really I just try to help others fix theirs. Hopefully you can help me fix this one.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:53 AM

If the CD doesn't boot as well, it is possible that this is a hardware issue, especially since you mentioned the computer was running slow before. But lets start checking for malware as well.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#8 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

I have tried running the xPUD program, unfortunately I cannot get it to finish booting. The first few times I tried I would get to the screen prompting me for the language then after about 5 or 6 minutes it would respond with a message reading, "uncompresion error" and "system halted_" After receiving this message several times I started over again and created a new CD.

Using the new CD it went further in booting up xPUD, but it would eventually come to a black screen and proceed no further. I tried this a few times as well with the same result each time.

What should I do now?

Edited by cmrisner, 31 May 2011 - 05:30 PM.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

Hi, lets try it with an USB stick then. :)

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer

regards, Elise

#10 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

Well I tried booting from the USB drive per your instructions, however I was still unable to get xPUD to fully boot up. :( I think it did boot farther and certainly much faster this time, but it still failed; displaying the uncompression error and system halted messages. I tried formatting the USB drive again and reinstalling the program according to your instructions, but I received the same error message.

Any other suggestions?

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

Can you verify how large the .iso file you downloaded is?

regards, Elise

#12 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

64MB

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:52 AM

Can you reformat the USB drive and try to create it again?

regards, Elise

#14 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

I tried it again with a newly downloaded iso file and a reformatted USB, however I got the same error message.

Is there something else I can do?

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Of course I tried booting with last known good config, that didn't work. I also tried using the XP discs to repair, but it won't load windows setup, it freezes there too. I tried it with two separate windows xp discs.

What happens when you try to boot from the XP disk?

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users