Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Save As' WMP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

A friend of mine has a desktop and a laptop. Each have their own interesting issues that so far, haven't been figured out. His desktop likely doesn't have long to live but, who knows.

Anyway... His laptop has windows vista. I don't recall all the specifications but I can probably get them from him if need be.
The issue:
on his laptop, he has trouble saving things from devices, through windows media player. Whether it's something on his flash drive or from a digital recorder that he has, there's no "save as" option. Using those same devices, he can see those options while using his desktop. (His desktop is XP)

Besides the windows version being different... the other difference is the media player version, but barely.
The desktop is 11.05something and the laptop is 11.06something.

I should be going over his house tomorrow and I plan to try uninstalling media player and reinstalling it... possibly an older version. I may put a few versions on my flash drive to try out. We'll see.
At one point I thought maybe the firmware in his digital recorder needed to be updated to work with vista... I went to the manufacturers(of the recorder) site and found a firmware upgrade that fixed vista issues... but, when I went to install it... It told me that it already had a newer version than the one I was trying to install... not sure how that could be but, that's what it said.
I poked around for a while on a couple occasions and so far, I just don't know why it is doing this. If I go directly to the digital recorder through my computer, I can simply copy and paste the individual files to his computer if I want to. But, this would be a pain for anyone but worse for him. He's blind and the recorder saves files with the weirdest names. So, you have to play each one sometimes to figure out what they are. Saving from windows media player would be ideal... and SHOULD work.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users