Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootmgr THEN checksum issue (computer won't boot!)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 klutzman

klutzman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

I've got Windows 7 x64 installed and my power went out during boot today. After restarting, I got this error during boot:
"BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot."

I put in my Win 7 disc and tried to boot from it, but after pressing "any key to boot from cd / dvd .." I get this error:
"The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

All the fixes I can find online have to do with using the recovery console, which would be awesome, if I could actually get to that point.

I even tried my old Vista and XP discs, but I don't even get as far as above. The computer just stops with a small cursor near the top, often having to be powered off to restart because ctrl+alt+del doesn't even work.

A fresh install is just not an option because I have important business data on the computer that I can't afford to lose. Also, I literally couldn't do that even if I wanted to since none of my windows discs will even load. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

if this is a desktop computer ,try un-plugin the power ,open the case and remove the cmos/bios battery, for 5 min or so then replace it ,its silver about the size of a quarter

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 klutzman

klutzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. I tried that, but I'm still running into the same issue.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

"The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

If the above error happens while booting from the CD, you may have RAM issue.
If you have more than 1 RAM stick installed, try to boot with ONE RAM stick at a time.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

I would also consider the possibility that the CMOS battery is dying...such typically results in weird errors involving system configuration issues and your system seems to be saying that it cannot read anything, regardless of media. I've seen errors that looked like RAM errors...that ultimately were failing CMOS battery issues.

Louis

#6 yokid357

yokid357

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

I had this issue, as well.  I removed a RAM stick and the problem was resolved.  Thanks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users