Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP multiboot with pre-installed Windows 7 not working

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

I am having problems with installing xp alongside a pre-installed Windows 7. I created a new primary partition for XP. When I get into the XP Setup, the format is done, the files are copied, just like the way they do. But after the restart it doesn't further head in the xp setup, it doesn't head into 7 either, it just hangs there on the boot from cd/dvd screen with some weird coloured symbols.

I got back to Windows 7 by using the system repair disc. But XP doesn't install and its not a problem with the CD since I've tried on a couple of other computers too and it works on them.
Please help. I'd be grateful to you guys.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 10 May 2011 - 11:58 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

I may be wrong but I thought that in a multi boot situation the older OS always had to be installed first.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:10 PM

I may be wrong but I thought that in a multi boot situation the older OS always had to be installed first.

That's certainly the preferred method, but it isn't required. Installing an older OS after a newer OS requires a change to the bootloader (which can be made with EasyBCD).

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

It just doesn't boot into the setup environment for windows xp. All it does is formatting the partition and copying files.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

http://www.pronetworks.org/forums/install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t104890.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/24311-installing-xp-after-windows-7-a.html

Louis

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

So have you got any idea on as to what I should do to install XP after Windows 7? Is there any way I can do that? The thing that unlike other scenarios you linked to, in mine XP Setup only formats the partition and copies files and doesn't really start the main installation process. It just hangs there on the boot cd/dvd screen, no matter if there's a cd/dvd in there or not. And then I've to use the Windows 7 Repair Disc to start Windows 7.

Thanks for the help so far.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 11 May 2011 - 11:12 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

what version of win7 are you using ,home/pro/ or ultimate

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

In that case...I would suspect either a partition or hard drive problem.

You did check the hard drive with the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...before beginning this project, correct?

And you did use the Windows XP CD (a valid one, of course) to create a new partition and install XP?

Louis

#9 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

what version of win7 are you using ,home/pro/ or ultimate

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
Posted Image

I did check the hard drive with Western Digital's diagnostic tool but there weren't any problems. And yes, I am using a valid Windows XP CD.

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2011 - 01:38 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

then i suggest using xpmode no need to duel boot and you can use both win7 and xp at the same time .
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2011 - 01:37 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#11 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

I obviously don't want to do that, since on the first hand I'm installing XP just because I want less RAM to be used by the OS when playing games.
Here's a file list of all the files that have been copied onto the drive by the xp setup but it just won't start the installation process:-
Attached File  File List.txt   154.17KB   3 downloads
SYSTEM SPECS.

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:50 PM

I obviously don't want to do that, since on the first hand I'm installing XP just because I want less RAM to be used by the OS when playing games.
Here's a file list of all the files that have been copied onto the drive by the xp setup but it just won't start the installation process:-
Attached File  File List.txt   154.17KB   3 downloads

yup, you wouldn't want to do that then .

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

but after the restart it doesn't further head in the xp setup, it doesn't head into 7 either, it just hangs there on the boot from cd/dvd screen with some weird coloured symbols.

one of the reasons msoft recommends install older version first,i guess

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

one of the reasons msoft recommends install older version first,i guess

nah. The primary reason is the bootloader. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Edited by Allan, 17 May 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#15 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

after installing xp it will not boot to either win7 or winxp ,sounds like a boot problem to me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users