Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real-time scanning inquiry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

My inquiry here is regarding using McAfee AV software AND the Malwarebytes PRO Anti-Malware software BOTH in real-time scanning mode. The quote shown below was provided by Quietman7 in response to another post. For clarification...am I correct that I should NOT have the Malwarebytes Pro Anti-Malware program since it runs in real-time scanning mode like the McAfee AV does?

"As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator, etc. will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, competing tools may provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing as a result of the overlap in protection."

Thanks very much for any enlightenment!

Edited by spc3rd, 10 May 2011 - 09:16 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hi, there seems to be a known issue before basing on the forum of mbam below.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=61158

But with the new version of mbam, I'm not sure.
Hope this gives you some idea of your inquiry.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

The quote you cite is in regards to using more than one anti-spyware program. McAfee is an anti-virus and Malwarebytes is anti-spyware.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes' and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users