Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are my Windows Updates on or off?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cornflake

cornflake

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:05 AM

I am using Windows XP with Avast anti-virus. I also use ZoneAlarm firewall and Malwarebytes anti-malware. I am seeking help with the following because it may be due to a virus or malware:

On start up I get a message from a red shield on the icon bar saying, “Automatic updates are off.”

If I do the following:

1. go to 'Start', click on 'Control Panel' and click on 'Security Center'

2. under 'Automatic Updates', in the middle of the window, it says 'Automatic Updates is turned off'

3. but if I click on 'Automatic Updates' under 'Virus Protection', near the bottom of the window, the 'Automatic' button appears to be switched on

Can anyone tell me if the updates are on or off? Full scans with Malwarebytes and Avast do not seem to help.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by cornflake, 10 May 2011 - 06:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

Good morning Cornflake!

From the limited info you've provided...I would be hesitant to hazard a specific guess as to whether or not your Automatic Update issue is virus/malware-related. But, I will mention an issue I experienced similar to yours just a couple of days ago, and what I did to correct the problem. (I'm running XP Professional with McAfee AV & Firewall).

While on a particular "gaming" website...I became infected with 11 items (according to the Malwarebytes scan I ran). This particular malware was named, "XP Security 2011." I got the same red icon you mentioned, as well as, the notification that my Automatic Update function was off. Following removal of the offending malware with Malwarebytes, I had the same problem you are having, i.e. my Automatic Update function was off and I could not turn it back on.

I resolved the issue by doing a System Restore to a point 24 hours prior to the infection (and Automatidc Update problem) occurring. I also went on-line to Microsoft's update site to do the "Express Install"...just to be certain my system had all current updates it should have.

Hope this might be of some help!

Edited by spc3rd, 10 May 2011 - 07:34 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#3 cornflake

cornflake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

That sounds similar except the Microsoft link, http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us, gives an error message:

‘The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view’.

I will try a system restore point.

I tried system restore. It only goes back to April 2011 and will not restore.

At around the time I first noticed the red shield, I had a scareware window apear which looked convincingly like MS software. It gave a list of infections and asked me to register. Hopefully without activating anything, I closed everything down and carried out Avast & Malwarebytes checks. I also tried a Spybot Search and Destroy. This may be unrelated, but Avast discovered a win32: Dialer-KT [PUP] infection, which it could neither isolate or delete.

Edited by cornflake, 10 May 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#4 cornflake

cornflake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:43 AM

Having spent so much time looking at the possibility of a virus without success, it has caused me to wonder if updates are run by a piece of software which I could have accidentally deleted. Hence the problems from the Microsoft updates page. Anyone aware of such a piece of software?

Edited by cornflake, 11 May 2011 - 02:47 AM.

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Hi again Cornflake!

I am not aware of a situation you describe (the accidental deleting of an Automatic Updates file)...though there may be someone else on this site who could offer more insight than I. (I did click on the link you provided and did not experience any problems getting to the Microsoft update site). (I'm also presuming here that you have your Automatic Updates function in the "Internet Options" of the Control Panel set to the "Recommended" level).

In re-reading your post # 3, I am reasonably inclined to believe you have indeed acquired some type of fake alert anti-malware infection on your computer. The "scareware tactics" and asking you to "register or purchase a product" are very classic for these types of malware issues. (Though I AM puzzled why the Malwarebytes did not pick up on it). You mentioned having performed a scan with both the Avast and Malwarebytes, which I am assuming both programs are currently up to date & you did a FULL scan. When you ran the scans...did you run them in "normal" mode or did you shut down your computer first, and then log back on in "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" (done by repeatedly pressing the F8 key as the system boots up) before running the scans?

It may be necessary to run your scans in "Safe Mode." Let the program remove anything it finds and if it asks you to re-start, then please do so. (Malwarebytes will often require a re-start in order to complete the removal of a malware item). Also, be certain to ensure your software (Avast & Malwarebytes) is currently updated too. One additional suggestion is to contact Microsoft regarding this issue (as I did). You can do this through the Control Panel; click on Security Center; then look at the box on the top left of the screen and select the option for contacting Microsoft. (You may also want to click on the line which says something like, "Check for the latest updates from Microsoft" as well...to see if this might help resolve the Automatic Updates issue. Once it takes you to Microsoft's update site, an icon on the right side of the screen will confirm whether or not your computer is set to receive Automatic updates regularly.

I know there are more members here who no doubt have considerable more experience than I...and I hope they will offer their expertise to you as well! Keep us posted on how things work out!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

Hello, I suggest we run a scn,may be two to see if it is a malware blocking the updates. It is a common occurrance.
We should run RKill first to stop some malwares. If they exist then MBAM can clean them.

RKill....

Download and Run RKill
  • Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.

^^

If you get an alert that Rkill is "infected", ignore it. The alert is just a fake warning given by the rogue software which tries to terminate programs that try to remove it. If you see such a warning, leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this sometimes allows you to bypass the malware's attempt to protect itself so that Rkill can perform its routine.

Try this with RKill.... download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal/regular mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mod
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users