Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kernel page indump BSOD followed by Disk boot failure

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:20 AM

So just now I had this problem and I have no idea what to do. My computer had been working fine for the most part. No real trouble, the only trouble was that I had been having some trouble getting the DVD drive to open.

I was just browsing and then the computer froze and gave me a "Kernel inpage dump" BSOD and rebooted. Upon reboot I could hear a sort of clicking from inside the computer and it failed to boot giving the following errors

Yukon PXE v5 .16 .1.3 (20060811)
© Copyright 2003-2006 Marvell ®. All rights reserved
Pre-boot eXecution Enviroment (PXE)v2.1
© Copyright 1997-2000 Intel corporation

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 1B B9 DD 49 29
GUID: FEFEFEFE-FEFE-FEFE-FEFE-FEFEFEFEFEFE
PXE-E53: No boot filename received
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

And that's it. I don't know computers well so I don't know what to do. I have not recently installed any hardware to the disk. Last thing I put in was a new videocard around two to three months ago. I did not change anything on the drive, this just happened.

Any help, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:11 AM

I was just browsing and then the computer froze and gave me a "Kernel inpage dump" BSOD and rebooted. Upon reboot I could hear a sort of clicking from inside the computer.....................

Anything like this?:

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:29 AM

Doesn't sound like it when I turn it on. I tried starting it again for reference and it didn't make the sound and I tried to start windows normally. It hung and a bluescreen flashed for half a second before the system rebooted. Upon reboot I listened closely and the best I could hear were faint tapping (slow in sucession, not rapid) and some whiring noise from inside.

Quite distraught with this as I just went through a problem a couple months back where I couldn't get the computer to start (video card that time.)

I tried googling that PXE thing and it said smething about network errors which really confused me because I wasn't setting up any new network. I wa sjust browsing normally when it happened.

#4 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

So for clarification I tried listening to it again and it sounds like a faint

whirrr tick.....whirrr tick......whirrr tick sound.

Has anyone got any idea? I've not been able to make any progress and am at a loss at what to do.

#5 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:31 AM

So I went into CMOS and changed boot up order to harddrive first, CD second. It then started with a new screen requiring me to check disk consistency. I did and it now booted. Hopefully it works now but I am typing on it now. I'll come back if it goes down again.

#6 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:01 AM

Well it died again and theres this clunking sound inside again. I'm assuming the harddrive is dead but I'm not certain. Is there anyway to tell for sure before I go waste money on a new one?

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:04 AM

You can do a dianogstic on your hard drive. Here is the range of tools choose your hard drive manufacturer one.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:43 AM

I really don't know who my harddrive manufacturer is nor how to run something when I can't get anything to boot.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

First open your computer up and see the hard drive sticker and check the manufacturer.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,386 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Those PXE error messages...indicate that the system is trying to boot from a network, rather than booting from the hard drive.

I would go into BIOS...set the hard drive as first boot device, save settings. Reboot.

If you get that same PXE message and your BIOS reflects the hard drive properly, it probably means that your CMOS battery needs to be replaced, since a failing CMOS on some systems will cause the default network boot (how Windows was installed by manufacturer).

Failing CMOS batteries can cause error messages about the system configuration/hardware...which just are not so.

Louis

#11 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

I've gotten various messages now. And the most concerning is the ticking inside the computer. I don't know where exactly it's coming from but it got louder and is now a clunking sound.

I wouldn't think a failing battery would cause that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users