Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where does my XP DESKTOP reside on my C:\

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BentBrother

BentBrother

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

Transferred files from 1 dead XP hard drive (via USB transfer device)to a new Win 7 computer...but Can't find any folder on the XP Box that says DESKTOP--The drive shows all my folders , program files pics etc etc BUT NO DESKTOP
the desktop is filled with folders videos and other important info, that I cannot locate.

I checked 'desktop' for all users, admin, etc - every desktop on the drive.
:woot:
NOT FOUND IN documents and settings>your user name>desktop ---not ANYWHERE !!!! HELP !!

Edited by BentBrother, 09 May 2011 - 08:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

Are you trying to find Desktop in your XP files or Win7 files?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 May 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#3 BentBrother

BentBrother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

trying to find the DESKTOP on the XP computer :busy:

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Is this the path you used to try to find it?

Open My Computer.

Click Local Disk (C:) to open.

Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Desktop

If you went through My Documents, you won't find the desktop folder. You have to access it by opening the C drive.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 May 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#5 BentBrother

BentBrother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Is this the path you used to try to find it?

Open My Computer.

Click Local Disk (C:) to open.

If you went through My Documents, you won't find the desktop folder. You have to access it by opening the C drive.

YES I checked EVERY user in Docs and settings... basic Desktop..with a help link & some other jibberish...But NOT MY desktop... I even 'searched' the old drive~ now called G: and nothing. I even 'searched' for folder I 'know' that lived on that Desktop...and cannot find it.
Is it on a different hidden sector of the hard drive or on the recovery drive?
where the heck can it be... ?
I have gigs of stuff on it..! :o

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

Go to START - RUN and type "desktop" (without the quotes) and press ENTER. What happens?

#7 BentBrother

BentBrother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

Go to START - RUN and type "desktop" (without the quotes) and press ENTER. What happens?

g:\ is now basically a removable drive attached to my new computer via a universal drive adapter,
that said when I type desktop in win7 run box ~ I get a slew of c:\ items...on my new Win7 computer and the same old XP g:\ docs setting\user etc .... same stuff I find when I search g:\. ALL WITH NONE of MY DESKTOP items...just generic Help annd Initial computer basic links. / <_<

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Okay - you know what? I just re-read your first post and I'm more than a little confused. You said you transferred files from a dead XP HD to a Windows 7 system. Just data files, correct? Or more than that? Please explain EXACTLY what you did.

You then say you are looking for "desktop" on the XP system - but if the HD is dead how are you doing that?

Could you please explain step by step what you have done and what you are now running? Thank you.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

When you backed up your files to the USB device, did you do it from MY DOCUMENTS or did you follow the path from My Computer/Local Disk (C:) that I posted above?

If you just did it with My Documents, the desktop will not be there.

As I stated, the only way to get to the Desktop folder is

Local Disk (C:) to open.

If you didn't go that route when you backed up, you did not copy over the Desktop folder.

And if I recall correctly, that is also how you find Favorites folder.

When you use the XP system is the drive totally dead?

If it is,there is a long-shot you can try if the Win7 computer is a desktop.

You could install the drive from the XP system as a slave drive in the Win7 computer and see if by some chance the drive works long enough for you to find the desktop to copy over.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 May 2011 - 12:21 PM.

#10 BentBrother

BentBrother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

Okay - you know what? I just re-read your first post and I'm more than a little confused. You said you transferred files from a dead XP HD to a Windows 7 system. Just data files, correct? Or more than that? Please explain EXACTLY what you did.

You then say you are looking for "desktop" on the XP system - but if the HD is dead how are you doing that?

Could you please explain step by step what you have done and what you are now running? Thank you.

Well thanks for the help..
My XP computer will not boot. tried a zillion times..safe mode..etc etc..just hangs up.. I have no boot cd either. I have simply copied what I see when I open up my old XP g:\ drive.. I still have it connected to my new machine....
and I am not searching thru copied files.. I am IN and looking thru THE OLD HD...

I am able to access the XP HD thru USB inerface. It shows up on My new win7 machine as g:\ . I see program files, various folders pics and other folders that lived on the old XP ... etc...
but in NONE of any of the old XP HD's docs/settings/user...whetever do MY Actual items that were on the now dead XP HD Destop show up. All that shows up...is Default user desktops, favorites(msn links.etc) ► All DEFAULT stuff..
I have gigs of things(pics/ videos/ etc etc ) sitting in folders ON my old XP Desktop...thats my concern..finding them..!!!

thats it.. Its gotta be somewhere..? no..? help..
thxs again!

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

Okay. NOW I understand what you are doing.

Do you see your user folder in Docs & Settings? Have you enabled showing hidden & system files & folder?

Edited by Allan, 10 May 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#12 BentBrother

BentBrother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

Okay. NOW I understand what you are doing.

Do you see your user folder in Docs & Settings? Have you enabled showing hidden & system files & folder?

No I do not. I have Administrator, Default user, All Users, and Owner. NONE of which has any of my info. No desktop or (ie favorites)
docs/and settings folder files were checked to hide, but have since changed to 'show' and still re-checked all users desktops and still just default options..appear.. !!

maybe attactched pic can help...

Attached Files

Edited by BentBrother, 10 May 2011 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users