Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange emails being sent to me & friends from me

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 marnbaby

marnbaby

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

i just got a laptop Intel i5 M480 @ 2.67 Ghz
8GB Ram, 700GB HDD 64bit windows 7
i was using IE 9 but just recently changed to Google Chrome
i use both Windows Live for emails and Yahoo.ca

when checking my emails today i got 3 or 4 emails from my yahoo.ca account to my regular email..i know i did not send any emails to myself (and turns out the emails were sent to anywhere from 1 to upto 8 other random people in my address book). immediately i sent those affected contacts an email to tell them to please do not open or click on any links in emails coming from me especially if i did not leave anything in the subject line or sign my name at the end of an email...i would never just randomly send a email to anyone with just a link.
the next step i took was to run my telus antivirus scan and it came up with no virus detected and only 1 cookie which was deleted.

i do go on facebook occasionally so wonder if someone hacked into my pc that way..is there someway of confirming this and ensuring it doesnt happen again

one thing that i checked was through telus, to ensure my wireless connection was secure...it said there was 4 computers connected, now i do have 3 computers and 2 ps3 so maybe that 4th computer is someone hacking my system, i dont know, hope someone can help, of course if you need more info, which you probably will just ask and i will answer as well as i can :)

cheers

to add some more info: I contacted Telus (my ISP) and they suggested i change my wireless connection server name and password, i have now done that as well as change my yahoo.ca account pswd and facebook password. oh also then Telus said i shud take my pc into a techie to see if they can scan & remove any virus's....LAME. oh they also said i might want to d/l avg antivirus and use that instead of the telus security services..any suggestions from you folks?

Edited by marnbaby, 09 May 2011 - 06:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users