Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stops responding

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 grave_yard_duck

grave_yard_duck

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

I initially posted this in "Am I Infected?" After trying a few of the mod's suggestions, I was advised to repost here:

My computer is a 3 year old Dell running XP. A few weeks ago, I started having this problem. Shortly after starting up, the program I'm using will stop responding. I can still move the mouse around, but nothing else will work; I have to unplug the machine to even restart it. I tried running a scan with Malware Bytes, but that stops responding a couple of minutes into the scan. Some programs will run okay (haven't had issues just browsing stuff on Firefox) but if I try to even open others (like the DVD player program) it freezes up the whole computer.

These problems began shortly after I installed and started using the DVD creator software DVD Flick. For about 3 days I was doing a good amount of DVD burning. A couple of times, I had similar problems with that program not responding. Then about a week later, I was just having the general problem of programs not responding. I've since uninstalled DVD Flick, but the problems persist.

I've tried doing malware scans in Safe Mode, but have had the same problem: the program stops responding a couple of minutes into it. I've also tried using a boot disc (UBCD4WIN) and had the exact same problems. I thought it might be hardware problem related to overheating, so I cleaned the cpu fan and heatsink, but I'm still having the same problems.

Per the mod's suggestions in the original thread, I installed and ran tdsskiller, which did not find anything. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling DVD Flick, and still encountered the same problems. I would do a system restore, however there are no restore points prior to my installing DVD Flick.

Any help/advice is welcome. Let me know if I should provide any more information. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

1) what happens in safe mode?
2) what happens if you uninstall DVD Flick?

#3 grave_yard_duck

grave_yard_duck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the response Allan.

1) I have the same problem in Safe Mode; programs stop responding after a couple of minutes

2) I've uninstalled DVD Flick and the same problems persist.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

So some programs will not run properly in safe mode either? Then it may be a hardware issue. Let's start with the obvious first steps:

1) To check the ram, download memtest (http://www.memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

2) Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

3) Check for a bios update

#5 grave_yard_duck

grave_yard_duck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try and let you know what I find.

#6 grave_yard_duck

grave_yard_duck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

So some programs will not run properly in safe mode either? Then it may be a hardware issue. Let's start with the obvious first steps:

1) To check the ram, download memtest (http://www.memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

I ran memtest and let it cycle a couple of times, it found no errors.

2) Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

I did this. It took quite a long time, about 3 hours.

3) Check for a bios update

I used CPU-Z to find my system information. It said I have a Dell Motherboard, model OWG860, BIOS version 2.4.0. Was a little odd, as Googling found no model OWG860 (there is a OWG864, which I assume is the correct one). It appears that this is the most up to date BIOS version.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

All you need to do is go to the Dell Support link and enter your service tag number. You will then see the current bios available for your system.

Anyway, there's only one other thing I can suggest and that's a repair installation (in the hope one or more of your system files have been changed or become corrupt. Again, the fact that the problem occurs in safe mode is disturbing. Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option. Done properly, all apps and preferences will remain intact. You'll have to go to Windows Update and re-download / install all updates after the installation is complete. Here's a detailed walk-through: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp

#8 grave_yard_duck

grave_yard_duck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

OK, the repair install seemed to fix the main problem of the freeze ups.
However, I'm still encountering problems with initial programs, I don't know if this is all connected.
The main issue is with the DVD Player software that was pre-installed with the machine, Dell CinePlayer.
When I insert a DVD, it tries to autoplay with this software, but then gives an error message:

c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded

I get the same message when I try to just start the program. I think I initially encountered the freeze ups after trying to play a DVD and the computer froze (this was shortly after the whole DVDFlick episode I described in the original post).

I can still play DVDs now, if I use Media Player. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CinePlayer, but I get the same problems. Weirdly, I thought to maybe just leave CinePlayer uninstalled, but Media Player then won't play DVDs without it installed, so I reinstalled it again.

Another program I use regularly, Foobar (media management software), crashes whenever I try to start it.

Thus far, I haven't encountered any trouble with other programs crashing.

I don't know if this should be a separate thread, but it is similar to the problems I was having. Now, instead of my whole computer locking up, the individual programs I noted just crash when I try to load them. Which is preferable to it locking up, but still . . .

Once again, thanks for all the help.

#9 grave_yard_duck

grave_yard_duck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

Just to update, I reinstalled Foobar, and it seems to be working now. Still having the same problem with CinePlayer.

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

The K-Lite Full codec pack may help with the Media Player, if you want to uninstall a troublesome Dell Cineplayer.

http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

#11 grave_yard_duck

grave_yard_duck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

Thanks Pete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users