Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is there a malware that combofix wont remove ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

i found something when i Google the question called vundo so what the heck is vundo ?????

and also can Please tell if there another extreme removal tool like combofix

i'm aware that combofix is dangerous and should not be uses without professional help

but sometimes when i hit the wall !!! and decide to format
i like to play a little with my system even if it will brick my windows

any thoughts on that

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

Vundo is a Trojan that infects a system with malicious Browser Helper Objects and .dll (Dynamic Link Library) modules attached to system files like Winlogonand Explorer.exe. The infection is responsible for launching unwanted pop ups, advertising for rogue antispyware programs, and downloading more malicious files which hampers system performance. Newer variants of Vundo typically use bogus warning messages and alerts to indicate that your computer is infected with spyware or has critical errors as a scare tactic to goad you into downloading a rogue security program which uses social engineering and scams to trick a user into spending money to buy a an application which claims to to fix it. The messages can mimic system messages so they appear as if they are generated by the Windows Operating System.

Vundo spreads via Internet Relay Chat, by visiting underground web pages, adult, gaming or pirated software sites, and by using peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs which are a security risk that can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft.

The problem with these types of infections is that they can download other malicious files so the extent of the infection can vary to include backdoor Trojans, Botnets, IRCBots and rootkits which compromise the computer and make the infection more difficult to remove. For more specific information on how these types of rogue programs and infections install themselves, read:When a backdoor Trojan, IRCBot or rootkit is involved, the PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume the computer is secure even if the malware appears to have been removed. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them.

sUBs, the developer of ComboFix, has asked that the inner workings of the tool not be discussed in public.

:step1: Questions about ComboFix and how it works:

...discussions pertaining to how Combofx works, what it can or cannot do, what the log results mean, any future plans, updates, etc is not available to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums and therefore we cannot answer specific questions. The only public information that is available can be found in this authorized guide: How to use ComboFix

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Safeguarding ComboFix from malware writers is necessary and important so that we can continue to use it without attackers having knowledge how to defeat it. Everything we discuss can be read by the bad guys. Yes, they read forum topics looking for clues on how to circumvent our tools. We don't want to provide any information they can use against us so we deliberately limit discussion which sometimes may appear vague or not fully address a specific question. That's the decision by the creator of ComboFix so we hope you understand and it should not be taken personal.

If you want to learn more about ComboFix you will have to enroll in the Malware Removal Training Program here at BC (if space is available) or one of the other various Unite Schools where such training is offered. In that environment experts will train those interested in assisting others with malware removal and how to use specialized fix tools like ComboFix.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ranget

ranget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM