Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop PC powers up -does not start up (or go to standby)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anand srini

anand srini

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

I have a Compaq PREsario Tower PC with Athlon 64 running Windows XP for the last 4 years+ with no issues. REcently it started to power up but does not boot up - monitor says no inputs and goes to sleep , but my PC power supply is on , fan is on and LED light for power indicator stays on. I tried to power off using the power switch which used to put it in standby earlier , but turning the switch on or off does not do anything. I had to turn UPS power supply off to shut down the PC power supply. I had one small succes when I disconnected the switch and it booted up once and I shut it down regulary using Turn off menu, but when I put the switch back and tried to start the PC it went to the same mode of lights on, power supply on, fan on - but no booting or display on the monitor. Now it is not booting up even if i remove the switch or assenble it back. Please let me know what could be the issue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First things first, can you please post the full model number of your computer, it should be listed somewhere on the tower on a label.

Reading your description above sounds at first like a possible faulty switch.

By faulty I mean it is getting stuck in the "ON" position, these switches are designed to create a momentary connection, like that of a common doorbell switch.

You press the switch it sends a signal to the controller chip, which in turn triggers the PSU to activate the rest of the system, power it up.

Motherboards have an array of pins which are labeled as the front panel connector, these pins are for the HDD LED, POWER LED, RESET and the ATX POWER/SOFT OFF SWITCH.

Pressing the ATX POWER SWITCH once activates the system, pressing and holding it in once system is up and powered up, allows the system to safely power down the operating system and turn the system off.

If the switch is stuck in the on position for any reason this can cause the system to power up then off again, if the reset switch becomes stuck you can experience system problems as well.

Those switches can sometimes become stuck for various reasons.

There are two pins on the motherboard which are labeled ATX POWER, jumping these two pins together without the switch attached can power up the system manually, I want to caution you, the contact of those two pins should only be momentary, like a few seconds at the most, that is MORE than enough to get the system to react and power up the system.
Shorting those two pins out longer than that will cause system to power back down again, because you have activated the soft power off option.

Since I do not know what motherboard you have, I can not offer the pin locations to you in this post, perhaps once I know what system you have I can look at a motherboard map and tell you what to look for.

As for your PSU being a possible issue here, that is possible that there is something faulty with your PSU, but before I conclude with that assumption, I want to first make sure it is not something as simple and cheap as a power switch on your computer case.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 anand srini

anand srini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hello Bruce

Thnks for your prompt and detailed response.

My Compaq Presario model number is SR2017CL ( thats what is on the front along with the description)
its powered by Athlon 64 processor 3800, 1024 MB RAM with 200 GB hard drive
I could not see markings on the motherboard to identify it (I caan send a picture if that helps ?), the power supply is HIPRO

From your suggestion on the ATX switch - to check on the switch - can i disconnect the 2 wires going to the switch and then short them momentarily to see if the switch is the faulty part ?

Also, since I hear noise as if the PC is running - every time I turn on my UPS now to try to start the PC - if its faulty switch - would I still fail to see any display on the monitor ( monitor goest to sleep saying no input) - while I continue to see the power ON LED, fan runs and seems like the PC is trying to boot up ?

Thanks again

Regards
Anand

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First things first, can you please post the full model number of your computer, it should be listed somewhere on the tower on a label.

Reading your description above sounds at first like a possible faulty switch.

By faulty I mean it is getting stuck in the "ON" position, these switches are designed to create a momentary connection, like that of a common doorbell switch.

You press the switch it sends a signal to the controller chip, which in turn triggers the PSU to activate the rest of the system, power it up.

Motherboards have an array of pins which are labeled as the front panel connector, these pins are for the HDD LED, POWER LED, RESET and the ATX POWER/SOFT OFF SWITCH.

Pressing the ATX POWER SWITCH once activates the system, pressing and holding it in once system is up and powered up, allows the system to safely power down the operating system and turn the system off.

If the switch is stuck in the on position for any reason this can cause the system to power up then off again, if the reset switch becomes stuck you can experience system problems as well.

Those switches can sometimes become stuck for various reasons.

There are two pins on the motherboard which are labeled ATX POWER, jumping these two pins together without the switch attached can power up the system manually, I want to caution you, the contact of those two pins should only be momentary, like a few seconds at the most, that is MORE than enough to get the system to react and power up the system.
Shorting those two pins out longer than that will cause system to power back down again, because you have activated the soft power off option.

Since I do not know what motherboard you have, I can not offer the pin locations to you in this post, perhaps once I know what system you have I can look at a motherboard map and tell you what to look for.

As for your PSU being a possible issue here, that is possible that there is something faulty with your PSU, but before I conclude with that assumption, I want to first make sure it is not something as simple and cheap as a power switch on your computer case.

Bruce.

#4 anand srini

anand srini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

Hello Bruce
I tried one more thing after I sent the first response out - since you mentioned that a long press on the power switch should shut it off ( I have never tried this option before, always shut down from the system) - I started the UPS - then PC power supply started by itself , but I was able to shut it down with the long press of the Power switch. I turned it back on - and it goes into the same mode of powering up sounds but no display or progress beyond. But i was able to repeat the power off with the long press of the power switch.
Hope this helps to narrow down the cause ....

regds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users