Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Noises

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

I am facing a similar problem since the last two days. The hard disk starts clicking, but doesn't do it continuously, sometimes it makes a few clicking noises and then stops for about fifteen minutes, sometimes it makes them every two minutes or so. I have two HDDs, both SATA, and I don't know which one is clicking. I have made an audio recording:

http://plunder.com/e7f7479f99

or

http://www.plunder.com/Hard-Disk-Clicking-Sound-download-e7f7479f99.htm

Its an .amr file. Is it the click of death? Oh btw, both are Seagate. One is around 2 and another is around 3 years old, and they are all pretty much packed.

Edited by hamluis, 09 May 2011 - 11:12 AM.
PM sent new OP, topic split from 2008 post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

1) You are responding to a thread from 2008
2) You would get a better response starting your own thread
3) Hard drives that click are in trouble. Backup data off the drive and prepare for the worst.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

Eset blocked your links as potentioally dangerous content.

Pull the power lead from the drives one at a time to determine which one is clicking.
Do so with the system off and unplugged.
After determining which drive is the problem replace it.
Clicking drives are never a good thing

Edited by Eyesee, 09 May 2011 - 04:39 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

Eset blocked your links as potentioally dangerous content.

I am also using Nod32, it didn't block it. Anyway, is this what they call the click of death?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

There is an easier way to determine which hdd is making this noise, it's a technique that auto mechanics have used for years which relies on the principal of sound being transmitted through a solid substance. Mechanics use to use a long screw driver with the handle end held to their ear and the business end pressed against the valve cover to find a noisy lifter. You can do something similar using either a wooden or plastic long handled spoon. Hold the spoon end to your ear and place the handle end against the hdd, the hdd making the clicking noise will be amplified making it easy to determine which hdd is at fault.

There are a couple of way to check the health of the hdd in question, you can download Belarc Advisor which can report the S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) status. The other is to find out who the manufacturer is for this hdd, go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. These usually have the option of being a ISO file which can be burned to a CD to make a bootable CD. In order to run this diagnostic you may need to enter the BIOS and change the DVD/CD-ROM to the first device in the boot order so that you can boot from the CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

Both the drives are Seagate, and I got the Seagate diagnostic tool and ran the SMART test but not any of the longer tests. One of the drives reported as SMART - Fail. There was a note that it was recommended to download the DOS version of the diagnostic tool and boot from it. I've downloaded it but haven't made a boot CD yet. I'm going to do it but I just wanted to know if it is definitely going to die, or whether hard disks can function with such clicks. I've already backed up the important data to the other drive and to a USB drive.

Btw, there is one particular folder lying in the root part of the second partition that always takes time (about ten seconds) when I try to open it the first time and explorer stops responding during that time. Could the clicks just be because of a bad sector? But the HDD doesn't necessarily click at that time, and sometimes it just goes into a clicking frenzy even if I am not using that folder.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

Replace the drive.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

Both the drives are Seagate, and I got the Seagate diagnostic tool and ran the SMART test but not any of the longer tests. One of the drives reported as SMART - Fail. There was a note that it was recommended to download the DOS version of the diagnostic tool and boot from it. I've downloaded it but haven't made a boot CD yet. I'm going to do it but I just wanted to know if it is definitely going to die, or whether hard disks can function with such clicks. I've already backed up the important data to the other drive and to a USB drive.

Btw, there is one particular folder lying in the root part of the second partition that always takes time (about ten seconds) when I try to open it the first time and explorer stops responding during that time. Could the clicks just be because of a bad sector? But the HDD doesn't necessarily click at that time, and sometimes it just goes into a clicking frenzy even if I am not using that folder.

bad sectors don't make clicking sounds,bad hard drives do .
is this the sound you hear .
http://www.clickingharddrive.com/drive-clicking.wav

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

bad sectors don't make clicking sounds,bad hard drives do .
is this the sound you hear .
http://www.clickingharddrive.com/drive-clicking.wav

I ran chkdsk on all partitions, it doesn't report any bad sectors, but on the first partition, the computer stopped responding and I had to reset the machine.

I've made an mp3 and reuploaded it to another site:

Hard disk click sound

Those who haven't used Rapidshare before, let the page load fully, then click on the slow download. I don't think it will ask you to wait, since its only 326 KB.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

...but on the first partition, the computer stopped responding and I had to reset the machine.

Stopped responding?
Did the hard drive activity indicator light quit flashing? Chances are it had not frozen, but had found bad sectors and was attempting to recover the information.
A hard off\reset is never recommended when performing a chkdsk. May very well compound the situation.

As Caperjac stated. Bad sectors do not make noise. A failing read\write head will.
It sounds very much like the drive may have multiple problems.

#11 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

The hard disk light was continuously on, but the computer had stopped responding, so I waited for some time and then reset. I ran chkdsk after the reboot and it ran successfully and didn't find any bad sectors.

I have been using the computer since an hour now and there was no sound at all, and then it suddenly started and has been going on for about ten minutes. I think booting from the diagnostic and scanning will give some answer. I'm planning to use the drive for as long as it lasts. That shouldn't cause problems for other parts, should it?

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:45 PM

The diagnostic tool may or may not show something.

A hard drive can suffer several different kinds of failures. Not all of which will be reported prior to it`s failure.

Using it till the wheels fall off so to speak should not hurt anything else.

I would how ever be sure to back up anything you deem important to another device, media. Should the drive suffer a mechanical failure then shy of very expensive professional recovery services, the data be be lost for good.

#13 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

The drive that is clicking is the one from which I boot from.

This morning I got out my previous hard disk which I don't use now, one that is not SATA but has that large data cable, and I attached it and tried to get some more data out (I had already backed up the important data but then I remembered that my email passwords are stored in the browser and I had forgotten to backup the application data folder). The OS in this older hard disk is also XP, and when I tried to access the partition that is particularly problematic, the computer stopped responding. After a reboot, when I tried to copy some images, it instead copied some other images from another folder. I thought now the drive has had it.

But then I booted from a Linux live CD, and it worked perfectly. There were times when the copying process would stop for a while, but I was able to get a whole lot of non-important data out as well. Now I've reconnected the problematic drive and booted from it, and it is working without any glitches, no clicks at all! I thought maybe I'm mistaken, but its four or five hours of continuous usage now and still there isn't a single click.

Is it possible for the OS to make the hard disk work too much so that it freezes? I think Vista had some such feature, which was accused of thrashing the hard disk.

I'm planning to format the entire drive now. Will use it as long as it lasts, but won't store any important data on it.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

ThunderZ has already outlined the causes of the clicking sound.

The hardest thing on a hdd is when it is heavily fragmented. The read head has to work very hard since components of a file can be all over the disk.

With the indicators you have the failure of this hdd is imminent. It may last for a while, or it could fail today.

Edit to add information regarding ATA/PATAT hdd.

The older hdd you transferred should be have the jumper on the rear set as Slave. If the hdd is set as Master the computer could try to boot from it. The registry recognizes the plug-n-play IDs of the motherboard's chipset, if the hdd is installed with another motherboard it will add the plug-n-play IDs of that motherboard. Because the registry now has the IDs of both chipsets it will basically become confused when you try to boot from that hdd. There is a good chance that the operating system won't boot.

Edited by dc3, 11 May 2011 - 11:04 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

Some time back I had changed the jumper settings and I think I lost the jumper, so I don't know if it has a jumper at present, or how it is set. I will have to open the CPU to find out. What I have done is, I have changed the boot sequence in the BIOS, so that after the CD drive, the first HDD that will be checked for booting will be the 80 GB one, the one that was clicking, and from which I have booted now. It hasn't clicked at all since yesterday.

I checked all three drives with Seatools again, and only the 1 TB one is shown as Smart Pass. Which means the older 40 GB one, which is more than 8 years old, is also going to crash some day. The older drive has lasted much longer, but then I haven't used it much for the past two years.

Edited by HydraHeaded, 12 May 2011 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users