Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horrible Slowness - Not sure where to post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:55 AM

Hey guys. First of all, thank you for helping me with all of my problems, and my occasional stupidity. lol. Anyway...

I think my computer may have gone Kamikaze.

I woke up this morning, and got on my computer, and instantly noticed a horrible decrease in performance.

I had left my browser running all night, but I do that normally. Regardless, I ended it to try and ease the load on my system. It didn't help.

So I decided that I would reboot. So I initiated a shutdown, and waited. And waited. And waited. For nearly five minutes I sat there, waiting for explorer.exe to close, and then I sat there staring at the Shutting Down... text for what felt like eternity. Looking down at my HDD light, the hard drive was running 100% of the time.

Finally, the system restarted, and I breathed a sigh of relief. It all went south after BIOS. Once BIOS gives me the POST beep, the computer goes to a horrible, horrible speed. I sat there for three minutes staring at a black lit up screen, while the hdd ran at full speed again (the HDD light doesn't even blink, just stay on). After about three minutes, I finally see the "Starting Windows..." text. Finally, I just got tired of looking at it, and pulled the plug.

Something is seriously wrong. I don't think it could be a virus, since I have norton updated and running 24/7, and it has never given me any performance degration.

I also worry that my hard drive might be failing, but this isn't a big concern to me, because as luck would have, I just backed my personal data up last night to a portable 500gb I just bought this weekend! Woot! Also, I checked that drives integrety this morning to make sure it wasn't infected or something, it turned out fine.

In all my years of computer issues, I have never seen anything like this. Does anyone have any ideas?

P.S. I might be able to boot into safe mode or regular mode, but I don't know... it's so slow that I fall asleep or pull the plug in frustration (probably something I shouldn't do...)

Anyway, thanks. JNK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

If the external hard drive is plugged in, unplug it, then start up your computer ... see if runs any faster.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

I actually unplugged the portable drive before the computer finished shutting down, as I was afraid something might be happening. So the three minute black screen period was with the Portable HDD unplugged.

#4 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

Ok... I finally let it boot all of the way, and it only reaffirms my fears. First of all though, it is so slow that if I wait five minutes, I will actually see two bar that says 'Windows is loading files...' Then, if I wait long enough, it will give me a vista-like loading bar, then it will default back to a black screen, before finally giving me a boot manager error stating that an unexpected I/O error has occured. This only makes me believe that the HDD has died. It's strange, though. I got this computer right around christmas, so it seems odd that an HDD could die in six months. Now i'm going to check cables and such...

#5 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

I see in you sig that you have a Western Digital HDD, you can head to their websitehttp://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en navigate to your exact product and you should be able to download a .iso to burn and run a diagnostic on the drive. But, it isn't uncommon for a drive to go out that soon unfortunately it does happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users