Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd rom driver issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danettelinn

danettelinn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:15 AM

I have an internal cd rom (came pre-installed with desktop), and there is now an error message and it will not read or play cd's. I do not have the original discs that came so I can not re-install this driver. I cannot locate this older driver anywhere on the samsung website either. Is it possible to uninstall and re-install another cd driver? I am not that PC savvy, so any help would be greatly appreciated..if I cannot uninstall and re-install another cd driver what are my options?
it tells me that:
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Edited by danettelinn, 09 May 2011 - 05:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

Optical drives do not need drivers.

1) When do you see that message?
2) Look in device manager - any errors?
3) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowscompatibility/thread/cbbfde77-4def-4abb-8dd0-125c6eb9441d/ AND http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/im-in-need-of-a-device-driver-for-my-optical-drive/cdda36e0-c028-400e-ae13-319afad5b011

FWIW: Optical drives employ drivers provided by Windows, which are generic in nature, applying to all optical drives.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

As Louis has posted, these drivers are native to the Windows operating system. But it should also be pointed out that circumstances can cause these drivers to become damaged or corrupted. The operating system keeps copies of these drivers in the event that they need to be replaced. Unfortunately you haven't posted the operating system which you are using, so I can only provide you with rather generic instructions.

To uninstall the drivers for the DVD/CD-ROM you will need to open the Device Manager. If you are using Windows you can access the Device Manager by going to Start> Run, and type in devmgmt.msc and then press Enter.

Scroll down the list till you see DVD/CD-ROM, click on the + to expand the tree, double click on your optical drive. The page that opens will have tabs across the top, click on Driver. Once that page opens there will be an option to uninstall the driver, click on this and reboot your computer. The installation wizard will open a message to let you know that it has found new hardware. It will then locate and install the proper driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

Whats the make/model of the system?

You may have a bad drive or maybe a loose cable.
If you have an authentic Windows XP cd try to boot from that.
If it works that points to an issue in Windows. If it doesnt work it points to a drive problem.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users