Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:10 AM

My license for Nod 32 has recently run out.

I'm looking for a new security solution. My laptop is a few years old at this stage but it's been running nod 32 excellently for years and it hasn't got terrible specs. Its a toshiba equium with 2 GB of RAM with 1.6Ghz Intel Centrino Duo with a 250GB HDD running Win xp SP3.

I've tried avast and removed it after a day. I found it slowed down my laptop an awful lot. I was onlt running itunes and firefox and the thing was hanging like crazy.

I've installed Microsoft Security Essentials and it appears to be running fine at the moment. So basically should I trust micrsoft security essentials as my antivirus software. It comes recommended from a website I've always trusted with reviews howtogeek.com but I'd like to hear peoples oppinions and suggestions.

Should I just go back to Nod 32.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:57 AM

If I were you I would either get Avast, AVG or Avira. (when were talking about free versions).
Microsoft Security Essentials is good, however its lacking some features.
You might want to check the reviews as well.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collection/5928/2011_free_av.html
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

And you can google some other reviews out there.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:36 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free antivirus solution which provides real-time protection that guards against viruses and malicious software. This page provides a brief overview of features and related security links. MSE Support provides several How-to videos for installing, scanning and addressing a detected threat. MSE was originally developed as a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare and was aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Reviews:Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 billspice

billspice

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

id try superantispyware or malwarebytes

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Neither of which are an Antivirus. They are Malware tools. The original question was asking about Antivirus protection. They can and should be used in conjunction with an Antivirus application, but not as a replacement for one.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 apcsllc

apcsllc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

Neither of which are an Antivirus. They are Malware tools. The original question was asking about Antivirus protection. They can and should be used in conjunction with an Antivirus application, but not as a replacement for one.

Thankyou for saving me from having to reply to that LOL

I suggest Microsoft Security or Avast FREE EDITIONS...and only install ONE AV .. not multiple or you are asking for a super slow computer that is exposed

#7 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

I wouldn't recommend MSE. It failed to detect the Clean This virus (getting the resulting mess cleaned up is what brought me to BC in the first place).

The only free antivirus I've never had any problems with is Avira. It's customizable, has the best detection rates, is light on resources, and partnered with Comodo Internet Security (without the antivirus part) you have a match made in Heaven.

As others have said in various threads, AVG's latest offering has some serious shortcomings so shouldn't be on your shortlist.

#8 ViroDox

ViroDox

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

I would actually recommend MSE, even though it's pretty weak. It does the basic job.
I have MSE along with Malwarebytes, my actual malware cleaning program. You could also get a Spyware/Adware removal program as well.
MSE isn't intrusive and slow, which I HATE! (My Personal Opinion)

As long as you don't download things that look suspicious, or go on untrusted sites, you should be fine.
Now If you do want to do such, either get VMWare or Sandboxie. If you don't trust it, simply sandboxie it.

Edited by ViroDox, 20 May 2011 - 02:48 PM.

#9 The Philosopher

The Philosopher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

Recomendations for MSE too :)
I've used it some time, and it's worked great. Best antivirus I've had so far beside Kaspersky :)

Joshua

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

I wouldn't recommend MSE. It failed to detect the Clean This virus

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Edited by quietman7, 20 May 2011 - 03:02 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Hungry Man

Hungry Man

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

MSE is perfectly suitable for an antivirus and it's the one I always recommend. Whether it blocks everything or not it's very lightweight and has a low false-positive rate with a very high positive detection rate. It's known to be weaker in Heuristics, but, let's be honest... if you want 0-day protection you should not be relying on MSE and you should focus on other methods of system hardening.

MSE + UAC + EMET is more than enough for the average user.

#12 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

Seems to work for me, I had Norton 360 for a week from my cable provider, it drove me crazy. MSSE is low imapct and seems to work.

#13 The Philosopher

The Philosopher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

MSE + MBAM (full protection if possible) + Comodo Firewall Free + Spyware Blaster + Your Attention = PERFECT PROTECTION

Joshua

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

+1 for MSE I have been running it since it came out, it does not slow the system down like most all others. I go by the simple logic that it is written and maintained by Microsoft for their products. I have three machines up and running, they are not networked one I use for what I call dog work anything risky is done on it. It has seen many know attack site applets and yes been to game and girly sites with not one glitch I do not see where MSE is lacking anything. I look at most other freebies as risky by comparison, another point the bigger known pay programs all seem to slow the do do out of machines.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#15 Rootkit Hunter

Rootkit Hunter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

Agree with all the recommendations on MSE. It's not perfect, but it's free, provides real-time protection, and doesn't bog down your system the way some of the commercial apps can. I've used it in combo with the free MBAM for over a year now and have been very satisfied. I also did some grad school research in malware detection and found MSE to perform near the top of a list of about 30 or so applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users