Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis True Image 2011

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 willythecat

willythecat

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:08 AM

I'm a real dummy regarding computers, but then hey, Acronis comes along saying they can create backups of the hdd.
So, Acronis True Image 2011. Fired it up and there are three options -
Backup my critical data
Use backup assistant
Go to main screen
I go to the main screen option, select "create bootable media" and then l am at a a loss as to what to do next.
All l want to do is to create a cd(?) so that if my system crashes, l boot from it and voila, my system is back up and running as if nothing ever happened.
Your site is my last hope. I've had answers elsewhere such as "read the instructions" or "Acronis 2011 is a backward step".
All l want to do is to create a bootable disk, that will restore my system. Should l keep Acronis of get something else?
Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 John A60

John A60

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:35 AM

Very wise move!

Go to main screen and choose "Disk and Partition Backup" and it will take you through a wizard.

.. but you wouldn't back up to CDs - DVD's perhaps, but best to back up disk images on a USB hard drive, one that has a capacity at least as big as your main hard disk.

As well, you should create a Recovery CD that you can boot from to restore your system - this does not contain a backup of your system - it allows you to boot from it get get Acronis to restore your system. To make a recovery disk, put a blank CD in your drive then choose Tools & Utilities then click on "Rescue Media Builder"

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

Creating the recovery disk should be pretty intuitive. What is the problem you are having? As John says above, this is a disk that will allow you to boot to Acronis, not to create or restore a specific image.

#4 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

Thank you John and Allan, some positive replies for a change!
I don't have a problem per say, it's just that if l ever lost my hdd for whatever reason, l could get my complete OS back up and running as if nothing ever happened. (this could even mean having to buy a new hdd should that situation arise). I don't have a Windows disk as such as l used to have Windows '98 and then bought the XP upgrade disk, which you can't boot from. Hence the Acronis idea?
I now look at this in a different light (yes l know it's a blimmin' point and click program, but it's not really that clear to even a dummy like me).
From what you both say, it therefore seems that l go into Main Media, select Disk and Partition Backup, and backup my complete C drive to DVD disks.
I then select Create Bootable Media, select True Image Home as the bootable component, and write this to a CD disk.
Phew, this is hard going!!?
I therefore assume then, that armed with my "bootable" CD and my DVD backups, l can use this on any pc (within reason) to get my system back up and running?
Think l now get the gist of things but just to digress, there are "sites" out there where it seems l can download an XP SP3 system disk with a cracked pw. Not really into that kind of thing but it's only to one disk?
That will only bring me an XP SP3 system, so l assume by using Acronis, not only do l get my XP system back, but all of my programs and files that were on the C hdd?
Thanks for putting up with my questions.
Regards

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

If I were you I would consider getting an external HDD to back up to instead of DVDs. Typical DVDs hold 4.7G of data, if you have a fairly small (by today's standards) 100G of data to back up, you're going to need around 20 DVDs (depending on how compressed the backup is). With an external USB HDD you can plug it in, start the backup and walk away. With DVDs you will need to constantly feed DVDs to it to keep the backup going.

You could even set the external drive up with a schedule to backup once per week (or whatever your preference), totally unattended.

Yes, doing an image backup with Acronis then creating the bootable media will allow you to recover the OS, your installed apps, all your settings/tweaks, any OS updates since SP3 AND your data whereas the downloaded XP disk will recover only the OS with SP3, everything else will be lost.

Edited by strolln, 09 May 2011 - 08:35 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

Thank you John, Allan, and Strolln.
A couple of posts and you have answered everything l wanted to know.
Now don't get too big headed you three, but award yourselves a gold star each!!!
A really good site where a dummy like me gets a sensible reply that even l can now understand.
Thank you again.
Kind Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users