Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kim_coco

Kim_coco

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

I think I may have the Vundo virus. ???
I have Windows XP.

I had internet radio on my computer earlier today for the first time (I'm on a separate laptop now, not networked), and I am getting error messages about invalid images and .dll something, I can't remember the exact error. I tried system restore in safe mode, but I still get the error messages when it reboots, then I get to my desktop and ALL my icons are gone...I'm incapable of doing anything else at that point, other than ctl alt del which the taskmgr doesn't appear to show anything that catches my eye.

I see only my wallpaper. I've come across many articles about downloading programs to delete the virus, but I can't even get to ANY icons on my desktop to enable me to do that.

For now, I've shut down my internet connection to that computer. I read this virus records keystrokes. Should I be concerned that passwords were compromised?

A few days ago, we had other problems, which I had assumed was fixed and unrelated to this, but now I'm rethinking. Hubby clicked OK on one of those fake "virus warning" popups, and we lost all favorites in internet explorer. We also had a "hard disk error" at that time, if I remember correctly. We did a couple system restores, but the "favorites menu" we had previously saved in internet explorer didn't come back, so we restored the data through our external hard drive. Not sure if this is related in any way to what happened today. We used the computer earlier, and it wasn't until after using internet radio today that we had more problems, this time our icons are missing, which leaves me to suspect it (the virus) may have still been there after our "fix" earlier in the week.

What do I do?

Thanks. And I'm no techie. FYI.

Edited by Kim_coco, 09 May 2011 - 12:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users