Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Input signal out of range

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flatfive

flatfive

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:32 PM

When I turn on my computer, an HP pavilion m7690y running XP, I get a black screen with the message, "Input signal out of range Change settings to 1280x1024 60hz"
I've tried holding down f8, when I turn it back on, but no luck.

I should note this was preceded by me installing sophos, then starting it to clean what was already probably a very infected system (spybot found click.gift load, but couldn't get rid of it). Sophos found tdl3mem-b I stopped the cleaning, then right clicked it to clean a few things. It found something on what was a changed windows defender, however, The very last function I did was was my hp tv-tuner interface, and thats when it froze. I turned it off, and since then, no luck even getting into windows.
I wonder if I'm completely screwed. (at least data files we're all backed up on an external hard drive)

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

Did you download and run Wise Registry cleaner by SOPHOS?

This is not a suggestion, only a question. The staff here at BC does not endorse the use of registry cleaners as the tradeoff isn't worth the use of these programs. More importantly, if you make an error while running one of these programs you can make changes to the registry which can result in rendering your computer inoperable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 flatfive

flatfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:43 AM

I don't think I did that. It was only a scan that I ran, then stopped.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:57 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

This signal is generated by your monitor to let you know that there is a problem with the resolution. If you can boot into Safe Mode you can force the change for the resolution by using a command line. In order to do this though, we will need to know what your graphic driver is. To find out what this is, please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:02 AM

I've tried holding down f8, when I turn it back on, but no luck.

Are you holding the key down continuously, or tapping it repeatedly? If you simply hold it down the BIOS may just register a "stuck key" error rather than going to the boot options menu.

Alternatively, it might be necessary to borrow the use of a CRT monitor that can handle whatever unknown resolution and scan frequency the system is operating at, and see if you can get back into Windows and reset it to 1280x1024 or less, 60Hz.

Edited by Platypus, 09 May 2011 - 01:03 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 flatfive

flatfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:09 AM

I cannot currenly even get i to safe mode.
I was holding down f8 to try to to get into safe mode. But should I try repeat tapping instead? I will try tmrw evening when I'm home again.

I also will search for s CRT monitor, I may have access to one.
Thanks.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:33 AM

should I try repeat tapping instead?

Yes, see if you can get into Safe Mode that way.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 flatfive

flatfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

*sigh*
tapping the f8 key did not work.
I do know the keyboard works and is connected bc I can press f1 to enter the setup mode.
But after a few attempts tonight of turning off, then back on again and tapping f8, no luck. Back to the same input signal screen.
Also, I cannot right now easily get a hold of a CRT monitor.
Thoughts? Maybe I'm being impatient and the computer is doing something that will work itself out? So I just leave it on overnight?

Again, thanks for the time and responses.

#9 flatfive

flatfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

One more tidbit, whil accessing the boot menu at startup, I could then access my monitor's menu. The "information" menu said my settings are currently at:
720x400 + 70Hz.
Still no luck getting into safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users