Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have 2 lists of sites. How can I use one to remove the sites from the other ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ballmoney

ballmoney

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

For example:
List A 20 000 sites.
List B 9000.

I want to use list B to remove the the sites in List A .
The sites in List B are all in List A so I want to remove them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

You could use Excel's VLOOKUP() function IF and ONLY IF the format of both sites is identical in both.
Put List A is in column A. List B in column B.
You'd need to sort list A, the bigger one, on, let's say, site name.
Then in Column C you're write an expression to lookup what's in B in column A. If true, it'll list a matching value from column A, if not found it'll say "#N/A"
=VLOOKUP(B1,A:A,1,FALSE) - make sure False is at the end for exact match. "1" stands for column to match. If your list has more columns than one, tweak the formula.
Then in Column C setup auto filter. Select all the non "#N/A" and delete in A since those are in both lists.
Once caveat, I think excel will only permit you to use 16345 rows, approximately, in which case you'll need to work with two worksheets.

Really, what are these "sites" about? Perhaps the applications that make those lists can eliminate the duplicates. What if you merge the two lists?

Access can do similar thing for you with a query for common items. Read Help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users