Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Livwell

Livwell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am having a problem with Internet Explorer running very slow. I have had somethings happen that have thru me a curve on this problem. Everything was working fine on the computer until I got some very serious virus's. The virus would actually take the svchost and race the processor at 100%. I ended up putting a new hard drive in the computer and reloading windows XP. A few days later when we would open IE8 it would run the processor at 100% and lock it up. If I run Mozilla everything works fine??? This is for a Dell GX 280 with 2 gig of ram and a 450 gig hard drive. Yes It is my older computer but it still works good. I have newer computers so please no suggestions to get rid of it. Below are a few things I have did:

1. Uninstalled IE8 and reloaded. Plus reset IE a few times.
2. It had a 80 gig hard drive before this and put the 450 gig in.
3. Tried disabling a few add ons.

Can somebody give me a few ideas I am stuck. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

Did you do a fresh installation, specifically... did you use a installation disk to format the new hdd and install the operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Livwell

Livwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thanks, Yes I did use a legal copy of XP Service Pack 2 and took it to SP3. So I think that means that I formatted it with a installation disk. It doesn't make sense that Mozilla works fine?? Think I should do a install again?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

I wasn't worried about the legality of the operating system, I was curious as to why you didn't use the recovery partition. If you are going to reformat and reinstall the operating system it makes sense to use the recovery partition as it has all of the drivers and will return it to the original state of the operating system.

At this point I don't see any reason to reinstall the operating system. This is something that I try to avoid as you will lose all of your data, non-Windows programs, pictures, e-mail and addresses, etc.

If you formatted the hdd you shouldn't have any more problems with infections.

What add ons did you disable?

What do you mean by "reset" IE?

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, you only have the one 450GB hdd?

If IE isn't working properly there should be an error message, are you getting any of these? If so, please post them exactly.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users