Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp pavillion dv6

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gaz3105

gaz3105

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

can someone help trying to fix my cousins hp pavillion dv6 as it is not playing nice at all. He said it started to turning self off when running of main or battery power)and also he said the battery life was not great and getting shorter all the time. I have replaced the battery with a new one, which is all good, but I am still having major issue. The laptop will turn on but then will die after a varied about of time, most of the time not getting as fair as posting other time you can get as fair as the machine fully booting up. Have take the hard drive out and made a image of it (hard drive looks to be fine) have also tried booting without the RAM in and its the same result the machine last for a round 1 second or so then turns off.
Can anyone think what to do next ?

Edited by gaz3105, 08 May 2011 - 08:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First off, pavillion dv6 is not the full model number, it is part of a series, you may find the full model number on a label located on the bottom of the laptop.

One of the reasons for your laptop is shutting down can be caused by the CPU over heating, this can be caused by dust that is sucked into the laptop and gets embedded in the CPU's heat sink.

If this is the case here, purchase a can of compressed air and using the plastic straw that came with the can, point it into the laptop in any air vents you see in the laptop case.

Keep doing this and hopefully you will see some signs of dust come out of the unit opposite of where you are squirting the air into the laptop.

As for your battery, are you sure you purchased the manufacturers recommended replacement battery?

Do the numbers on the new battery match that of the older one?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 May 2011 - 11:38 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 gaz3105

gaz3105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

full model is pavillion dv6 1214AX. have tried the canned air with no luck. Have double checked and the numbers on the new battery match that of the older one.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:57 AM

Okay I have your support page from HP at this link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4005045

Give me a few moments to do some research on your product and I'll see if I can come up with a suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

As I am trying to clearly understand what your issue with this laptop is that it does not always boot up into windows but instead it occasionally just shuts back down, is this correct?

Please try this and see if it works, I am not saying this method is a 100% fix, but it might work.

Perform a hard reset
If a PC suddenly fails to boot properly, you should perform a hard reset as the first action. Performing the hard reset will correct many problems. If the computer still does not start properly, select your symptom from the list below to guide you to the recommended corrective actions.
Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and SD media cards. You want to test the computer not the accessories!
Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds to drain all residual power and restore default startup settings.
Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not insert the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a fan or other moving parts turning.

Here is the link with the instructions I just had you to try. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443371&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&product=4005045&key=null

Please let me know the outcome of this hard reset.

If you continue having the same issues, please let me know this and I will offer you another suggestion, I do not however want to offer too many things at one time, we'll take it one step at a time and see the outcome of each before moving on to things we may not need to think about at this point.

Bruce.

#6 gaz3105

gaz3105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

thanks for helping, but the above did not work. Had the same result of lasting for a second then turning off

"s I am trying to clearly understand what your issue with this laptop is that it does not always boot up into windows but instead it occasionally just shuts back down, is this correct?"
that is correct

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

Thank you for your reply back, I am just posting back to let you know I am still working with you on this issue and have not given up on you, so please be patient as I continue doing research on your problem, I want my next course of action I have you perform be a 100% successful solution.

Thank you for your patience.

Bruce.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

Stick with me here if you can, as I have a lot of free time on my hands and do not mind concentrating on your issue, it is also what I like doing with my spare time. :thumbup2:

Please observe the following when attempting to power up your laptop.

When you press the power button: some of the LED lights on the keyboard blink or a beep tone is made to help identify specific hardware component errors

Do you notice any blinking LEDS on the keyboard before the system shuts down? If you do see those LEDS blink, can you please describe to me the sequence of those blinks and which LEDS blinked?

Do you hear any system BEEP codes when system powers up and before it shuts down and if you do, can you please post the length and oder of the beeps?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

#9 gaz3105

gaz3105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

I am grateful for the help. have just tested and don't get any blinking of LEDS or beeps. could send you a video of what happens

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

Hmm? This is very strange, system shuts down but does not display any error codes in the process.

Let me ask you this, does the laptop start up at all at this point, where it actually does keep on running and successfully boots into Windows?

If it does how long does the laptop run?

If it is for a limited amount of time, are you sure the new battery is fully charged to 100%?

Have you followed the correct procedures for properly charging a new battery?

Are you certain the charger is still capable of charging the battery and it is not in any way faulty?

Can you see any indicators on the laptop for the battery strength and does this indicator ever state battery is at 100% charge?

I know I have asked a lot of questions here, but I need as much information as possible so I can determine a possible cause, usually system errors will be sounded out by the system before it shuts down, a battery issue or charging issue may not be able to send out any errors, that is of course other than the battery status indicator indicating a low battery status.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 May 2011 - 01:37 AM.

#11 gaz3105

gaz3105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

sorry so long getting back to you laptop does not start up at all at the min last for about 10 seconds then dies. Followed the correct procedures for properly charging a new battery have tested it. ertain the charger is still capable of charging the battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users