Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP wont start, black screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrsbyrne333

mrsbyrne333

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi, I have a dell inspiron 1525 labtop. It was working fine, ran some updates then on the reboot it would not go past the post. The screen turns black with a blinking cursor at the top.
I tried unplugging everything, rebooting by taking out battery, and holding down power button.
The only menus I get are F2 and F 12, no F8.
I tried rearranging the boot order, I changed the Ram around I tried each by themselves.
I have a reinstallation cd, the repair did not work and I wasnt sure about completly redoing the installation.
It wouldnt let me put in a new partition.
I would appreciate any advice!!!!!
Thanks, Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

Did the repair installation start?

That model comes with a recovery partition, where did you get the installation disk?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mrsbyrne333

mrsbyrne333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

Yeah it started, i did the repair on the current version of xp but it didnt fix it.
It was bought off the internet it my be referbished
The cd says reinstallation cd microsoft windows xp professional. Service pack 3

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:44 AM

Let's try this. There is a second partition on the hdd, this is the recovery partition. You can access this partition by immediately pressing ctrl and F11 when you start your computer. Once the recovery begins just follow the instructions.

For future reference, you can use the installation CD to perform a repair installation. The beauty of this is that you will not lose all your data that has been added to the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mrsbyrne333

mrsbyrne333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

Tried the control f11-nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users