Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Stay Awake

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moboy82

moboy82

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

I'll try to keep this short. My in-laws Dell desktop, inspirion I believe. During the last storm, their computer was turned on when they lost power. Now when they try to turn it on, it begins to go through the normal boot process, but before it gets the desktop, it goes to sleep. Once it goes to sleep they can't do anything to it without powering it off. My question is, is there anything imparticular that I should look at first? The screen looks normal when booting up so I don't think it's the video card, but I honestly don't have any idea. This is the first time I've heard of this happening. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

What makes you think it goes to sleep? EXACTLY how far does it get during the boot process, what appears on the screen, and EXACTLY what happens?

#3 moboy82

moboy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

Well, the pc isn't in front of me right now, but it would load all the way up to the boot up screen where the progress bar is. However, now there is a new detail. Here is the message that is on the screen right now, "Continue with system resume or delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu." My mother law said that she tried to continue with the system resume, but it didn't fix anything. Should I have her go ahead with option two? Will this just delete the restore points on the PC?

#4 moboy82

moboy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

Also, I believe it was going to sleep because the power light on the monitor was turning to amber, but the light on the tower was still blue....The message that would appear on the screen was "entering sleep mode."

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

Well, the pc isn't in front of me right now, but it would load all the way up to the boot up screen where the progress bar is. However, now there is a new detail. Here is the message that is on the screen right now, "Continue with system resume or delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu." My mother law said that she tried to continue with the system resume, but it didn't fix anything. Should I have her go ahead with option two? Will this just delete the restore points on the PC?

Well, if one option isn't working then yes, try the other. It sounds as though the system went into hibernation and there is a problem recovering from hibernation. The second option will most likely delete the hiberfil.sys file and resume normal boot.

#6 moboy82

moboy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

Will have her try option two tonight. I'll let you know if this works. Thanks

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

When the monitor goes to sleep look to see what the lights on the front of the computer are doing.
Does the power light stay green,change to amber or go off?

Edited by Eyesee, 09 May 2011 - 06:21 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users