Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R60 Hard Drive Not Loading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 krmccour

krmccour

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

A good friend of mine asked me to speed up a computer that was given to her recently (Lenovo R60). When I first cut it on, it booted to windows (had windows xp professional) fine but windows was painfully slow due to never being cleaned. So I decided the easiest way to speed it up would be to reformat it. I used a program I hadn't used before to completely wipe the hard drive (and it worked fine). Once that was done, I put a fresh XP boot disk in (which is 100% working on other computers) and it booted fine from the disk. However, when I tried to install XP, it came up with an error that said "No hard drive found, windows installation cannot continue". So, I went into the BIOS, reset all the settings, and tried again. Same "no hard drive error". The BIOS reads the hard drive correctly, and I even put in a disk with some hard drive tools and modified the partitions just to make sure the hard drive was properly connect. All of those modifications worked fine. But when I try to install XP, it still gives me a hard drive not found error. So I put the hard drive in my Lenovo 3000 and reformatted it again, and installed Windows XP (worked flawlessly through my laptop). The hard drive booted XP perfectly on my computer (3000), but when I put it back in the R60, it stops at a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. Again, the BIOS reads the hard drive, RAM, etc. and all the settings were reset to default. so the hard drive is 100% working, but the R60 will not load windows (despite being able to modify the hard drive using other software). I've tried multiple XP boot disks as well, still "no hard drive found." Any suggestions? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

1) Sounds like you are using one copy of XP on multiple systems. That violates the EULA
2) You need to install the sata driver(s) for the original system to see the hd
3) You cannot install XP on one system, switch hd's, and expect the 2nd system to boot.
4) You should have formatted with the XP cd during the installation routine
5) I'm thinking your friend might have done better elsewhere :)

#3 krmccour

krmccour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

1) I'm using one boot disk with XP Pro, but each system's unique XP Pro keys. Each system came with XP Pro from the factory and I use one disk for convenience. So no, I'm not violating the EULA.
2) The SATA drivers are slipstreamed into the boot disk. And the original system sees the HD in the BIOS.
3) Yes, in some instances, you can expect to install XP on a hard drive using one system, and before installing drivers, switch it to another. It would at least go past the black screen with a blinking cursor. Irregardless, I only installed XP onto that hard drive using another computer to prove that the hard drive and disk were both functioning correctly.
4) I can't format with the XP cd because it says that the hard drive is not found when it tries to boot from the cd.

Why would the R60 be able to detect the hard drive in the BIOS, modify the partitions using separate software, but when the windows disc (which is fully functional, with correct sata drivers) is used, it says there is no hard drive detected. And when I install XP onto the hard drive using another computer, it stops directly after the BIOS loads (black screen with blinking cursor) instead of at least trying to load windows.

Edited by krmccour, 08 May 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

I don't understand - did you slipstream the sata drivers for the system to which you are trying to install the OS? You said you use the same disk on multiple systems - or did I misunderstand? Also, the only time you can install the OS in one system, switch disks, and get a smooth boot is if the hardware in both systems is identical. You can try a repair install after doing this if you like - it may or may not work. But it's not a recommended procedure either way.

And yes, if you are using the individual keys you're fine with the EULA.

#5 krmccour

krmccour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

I've actually slipstream a multitude of SATA drivers on this disk because I have several laptops all running XP Pro, so it just makes my life easier. So there is a small possibility that the correct driver may not be one there. Would that cause the hangup at the black screen and also the no hard drive found? Also, the R60 and my 3000 were made made very near the same time, so I was thinking the same or at least compatible SATA drivers would be used for both...

Yeah, I wasn't trying to get a functioning OS by installing it on my computer and moving it over, I was simply trying to see if it would at least try to load XP and get past that black screen with the blinking cursor (I would expect it to give me errors, was just trying to eliminate other possibilities).

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

The sata drive is keyed to the mobo on the system. You need the correct sata drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users