Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quicktime 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rklv

rklv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:40 PM

Hi,

This is my first post on bleepingcomputer. I hope I'm posting this in the proper area.

I am running Windows XP Pro on a desktop computer. I have iTunes 4.9 & QuickTime 6 installed.
My problem is in trying to upgrade to iTunes 6 & QuickTime 7.

I have downloaded the file from apple.com that consists of both programs. When I run the installation iTune installs without any problem but QuickTime fails to install. The error message is Error 1714: The older version of QuickTime cannot be removed.
I have uninstalled version 6 using Add/Remove programs, then have manually removed any folders/files left in Windows Explorer, rebooted and have run my registry sweeper until it comes up with no entries that need to be fixed/removed.
I then reboot and try the install with the same results.

I have tried this same procedure in Safe Mode and the error message is Error 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting RunTime.

I have downloaded a standalone copy of QuickTime 7 and tried the installation following the procedure outlined above and receive the same error messages.

One final point -- I have successfully installed iTunes 6 & QuickTime 7 on my other desktop and laptop using the file I downloaded from apple.com. These two computers are running Windows XP Home.

Any ideas as to what is causing this installation to fail or suggestions to use another approach would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:06 AM

get a copy of the windows cleaner and try uninstall ur quick time first, that will clean out the quick inclusive of your registry. If however, u cannot find the quicktime program in the program list after u have install the windows cleaner, then u might have to maually clean out the program.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 rklv

rklv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:38 AM

Zener,

Thanks for you post.

I neglected to mention that I had also tried your suggestion. I ran the Windows Cleaner Utility after uninstalling QuickTime and it didn't find an entry for QuickTime.
As I stated I had removed all QuickTime folders and files that were left behind after the uninstall, did a search and found no additional QuickTime items so I'm confident that there is nothing relating to QuickTime on the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users