Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Script errors and internet redirect virus.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 thejokerparty

thejokerparty

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

When I click on a searched link it will sometimes bring me to a random website. And internet script errors are popping up every now and then. Thank you for any help, Jim.

Edited by Budapest, 08 May 2011 - 04:43 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

Before doing anything if you have not already done so, you should back up all your important documents, personal data files and photos to a CD or DVD drive as some infections may render your computer unbootable during or before the disinfection process. The safest practice is not to backup any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.
Please follow these instructions: How to remove Google Redirects or the TDSS, TDL3, Alureon rootkit using TDSSKiller
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • When the program opens, click the Start Scan button.
  • Any objects found, will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure...do not change it.

Posted Image
  • Click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.<- Important!!

Posted Image
  • If 'Suspicious' objects are detected, you will be given the option to Skip or Quarantine. Skip will be the default selection. Leave it as such for now.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
-- For any files detected as 'Suspicious' (except those identified as Forged to be cured after reboot) get a second opinion by submitting to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.

Step 7 instructs you to scan your computer using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Don't forget to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning.

Malwarebytes' may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • After completing the scan, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes' when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes' encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes' from removing all the malware.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as you may need to rename it or use RKill by Grinler.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 thejokerparty

thejokerparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

First of all, thank you so much for your reply and help quietman7.

TDSSkiller.exe would not run on my computer. I double click the .exe file and nothing happens. I've tried several times including in safe mode.

Here is my Malwarebytes log file:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6502

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/9/2011 7:11:19 PM
mbam-log-2011-05-09 (19-11-19).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 148874
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 29 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

Please download and scan with the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool from one of the links provided below and save it to your desktop.
Link 1
Link 2Be sure to print out and read the instructions provided in:How to Install Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
How to use the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to automatically remove viruses
  • Double-click the setup file (i.e. setup_9.0.0.722_22.01.2010_10-04.exe) to select your language and install the utility.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • At the 'Setup page', click Next, check the box 'I accept the license agreement' and click Next twice more to extract the required files.
  • Setup may recommend to scan the computer in Safe Mode. Click Ok.
  • A window will open with a tab that says Autoscan and one for Manual disinfection.
  • Click the green Start scan button on the Autoscan tab in the main window.
  • If malware is detected, you will see the Scan Alert screen.
  • Place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click Disinfect if the button is active.
  • After the scan finishes, if any threats are left unneutralized in the Scan window (Red exclamation point), click the Neutralize all button.
  • Place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click Disinfect if the button is active.
  • If advised that a special disinfection procedure is required which demands system reboot, click the Ok button to close the window.
  • In the Scan window click the Reports button, choose Critical events and select Save to save the results to a file (name it avptool.txt).
  • Copy and paste the report results of any threats detected. Do not include the longer list marked Events.
  • When finished, follow these instructions on How to uninstall Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2010.
-- If you cannot run this tool in normal mode, then try using it in "safe mode".

#5 thejokerparty

thejokerparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

My computer froze up and I didn't get a chance to save it but i wrote down what it found.

Trojan.win32.clicker.hd (Hidden as google_search.xml)

path was Program Files\Mozilla fireFox\Search Plugins.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:51 AM

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
  • If using Mozilla Firefox, you will be prompted to download and use the ESET Smart Installer. Just double-click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to install.
  • Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer/Firefox as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.[/color][/i]
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser and allow the download/installation of any require files.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will install itself, download virus signature database updates, and begin scanning your computer.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
    If given the option (when threats are found), choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.

#7 thejokerparty

thejokerparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

I'm very sorry. I lost all ability to run my OS. I slaved it ran some scans and now I'm back in. Please don't lock this thread b/c I'm taking so long. I'm going to run that Eset scan now and reply back.

#8 thejokerparty

thejokerparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

Side note: I can only boot into my OS through "Last known good configuration". All other options (safe mode,normal, ect..) reroute me back to the same options.

Here's the ESET results.

E:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\AdRotator5.zip Win32/Bagle.gen.zip worm cleaned by deleting - quarantined
E:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Y0WOV919\upgrade[1].cab a variant of Win32/Adware.OneStep.Z application deleted - quarantined

Thank you for all your help and patience quietman7.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:35 AM

This issue will require further investigation. Many of the tools we use in this forum are not capable of detecting (repairing/removing) all malware variants so more advanced tools are needed to investigate. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS log for further investigation.

Please read the "Preparation Guide".
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.
When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the Malware Response Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, please reply back here with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.

#10 thejokerparty

thejokerparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

Thank you quietman7.

Link to my new topic.

Edited by thejokerparty, 17 May 2011 - 10:23 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the Malware Response Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Good luck with your log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users