Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error when re-installing XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

When I'm at the fully blue screen at the Windows XP Installation disk, a bunch of things load, then I get the message "The file nvrd32.sys could not be found", then setup can't continue and my computer restarts. I tried googling, but no help. I'm on a Dell Dimension 2400 XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

1) Is this an original, retail XP CD?

2) Are you booting to the cd and beginning the installation routine from there?

3) Are you formatting before installing?

#3 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

1) I'm not sure, my uncle just gave me a disk since he's the main tech guy for my household
2) When I put in the CD, nothing happens, I go to my computer, go to the disk, and click on setup. I just follow the setup, it restarts my computer, then thats when the error happens
3)Could you explain the difference? Windows XP is loaded on my computer right now, and I'm trying to start fresh

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

1) You need to boot to the CD. Change the boot order in the bios so the cd is the first device then, with the cd in the drive, reboot. If you want to "start fresh" (and DELETE EVERYTHING), choose the option to format before installing.

2) If it still doesn't work you need an original XP CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users