Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer locks up when playing music

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Judi_e

Judi_e

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

Got my husband a new computer a couple months ago, and now he's having trouble being able to play music and do anything else.

He spends a lot of time on celebrity photo sites downloading photos, but I don't know if that's related. Half an hour ago he was just sitting there with music playing while talking on the phone, he doesn't think any of the sites were downloading or anything, and it locked up.

This happens both while using Pandora to stream music and Windows Media Player to play music from his hard drive.

Everything will be fine and then suddenly the music kinda drags, turns to like a buzzing sound.....basically sounds like the player is stuck or just playing the music VERY slowly....kinda hard to explain, I hope that makes sense. The mouse pointer turns to a waiting symbol, mouse movement becomes choppy, and he basically can't do anything until it lets go, usually 30 seconds to 2 minutes later.

This morning it seems to be doing it a lot, so he's tried doing all the celeb photo downloading without playing music, and the computer never locked up. As soon as he turned the music back on it started doing it again, about once every 10-15 minutes. He tried updated the audio driver, that didn't help.

Here are the specs for his computer:

eMachines ET1331-45
AMD Athlon™ II X2 Processor 255 (3.1GHz | 2MB total cache)
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 SE chipset
5GB DDR2 RAM (it came with 3GB, we added a 2GB stick)
1TB SATA hard drive
Realtek 7.1 audio (I can't find anything more specific than that.....why don't they provide system documentation anymore?)

Basically we want to know if we should be returning the computer because it's broken, or if the on board audio is just crappy and we should get a sound card.

It really seems like a rip off that a new computer can't handle playing music and downloading pictures at the same time, and it's got my husband quite frustrated. We've had a rash of things lately that just don't work the way they should, and it's getting tiring.

Is there something we can run on the computer to give us more detailed info on what's in there? Is there a monitoring program that might help us determine what event is happening to cause the lock up? Should I just call tech support? Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Judi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Just a quick question I need to ask that will help me in making a decision as to what the problem is and how we can correct it.

The question I need to ask is how are you connecting to the Internet? Are you on a Dial-up connection?

Basically that is all the information I need to know for now.

Kind regards...

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

I could have sworn I responded to this yesterday, but I guess not.

We have cable internet. Our computers are connected to the cable modem through our Cicso Valet Plus N wireless router.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

What do you use for antivirus/antimalware programs?
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users