Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed programs no longer on after reboot.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

Hello... My daughter's computer started to do weird things: I installed Office yesterday and pulled the icons into the desktop. Rebooted and all the icons (and the programs) are gone, nowhere to be found. Checked the "add or Remove Programs list" and there are some of these programs I installed, available to be removed. Then Windows always get back to Windows Classic Style after I choose Windows XP Style on Display Properties. Went to modify the theme for Firefox and added an Ad blocker, but when I reboot, it goes back again to the former theme and no ad blocker is available. Seems no matter what, all new program installations are not. Hope somebody could give me some light on this.

HP, Windows XP, Pentium 4, 2.80 GHz, 0.99 GB of Ram.

Hello again.... Just run the MALWAREBYTES Program and this is the log after the full scan was done:

11:40 AM 5/8/2011Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6533

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/8/2011 11:40:10 AM
mbam-log-2011-05-08 (11-40-09).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 218930
Time elapsed: 58 minute(s), 11 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 5
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ForceClassicControlPanel (Hijack.ControlPanelStyle) -> Value: ForceClassicControlPanel -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ForceClassicControlPanel (Hijack.ControlPanelStyle) -> Value: ForceClassicControlPanel -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowHelp (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSMHelp (PUM.Hijack.Help) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2011 - 02:41 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

I would run the correct, respective hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...on the hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

No harm in checking the hd, but I don't see anything that leads me to believe it's a hardware issue.

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#4 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

Computer had a fresh Win XP install a year ago. All worked fine for eight months or so, then my daughter started saying the machine had some issues: Slow performance, the pictures she downloaded from her camera were nowhere to be found, Windows Messenger suddenly stopped worked; then she tried to install it again without success. She added a webcam because this is a PC... She is 17 and her life evolves around Facebook, Myspace, etc...but several of her friends always came in and out with USB sticks sharing information and pictures....

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

May I assume she has an anti virus app installed and resident?

I'd suggest running fully system scans with both her installed anti virus app AND with MalwareBytes.

#6 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

May I assume she has an anti virus app installed and resident?

I'd suggest running fully system scans with both her installed anti virus app AND with MalwareBytes.

Did that yesterday...Please read my first post above; I put in the Malware scan results. The Anti-virus didn't found a thing...
ALSO... I wanted to have my daughter back on so she could do some homework, so I grabbed a copy of a WinXP program and had the failing installation to run a FIX using the CD....When I typed the original legal serial number of the computer; it said that wasn't the right one. So I used the one from the disc...and the computer came back to a normal state...BUT then I had the dreading "This is a counterfeit program"...and the Windows legitimate warning. QUESTION: How can I manage to reinstall again the OS using the number on the computer sticker if I don't have the original OS disc, as this one came already installed? Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users