Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound on my computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Beth102

Beth102

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

I can't figure out why I have no sound. When I look at everything it's not muted anywhere. Not sure what's going on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hi,
Have you any yellow ! marks next to your sound/video and games controllers in you device manager??. Can you also give me the make and model of your machine, if it is a Dell can you give the service tag # , as this will help in trying to resolve your issue.

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#4 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

I have an HP a1601n computer with Windows XP Media Center 2005. What happened was I did a Windows update for Service Pack 3 and all of a sudden my computer would not work and I could not do anything...so I restored it to the day before and then it worked. The only problem is now there is NO SOUND. I believe i had been using the Realtech sound card that comes with the computer but I also have an M-Audio pre USB for music recording that I used before and recorded music with and that was my sound card then but it hasn't been used since I started having problems with bugs. Now in all the menus it looks like my sound card should be working.

#5 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:41 AM

Hi,
If you are still having sound issues, I need to know more about your machine I know it is an HP but I can not find the model that you have said that it is "a1601n",please download and install Everest.....http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html ... and attach the report on your next post.
Also you say you have an external usb soundcard, is this still plugged into your machine ???, if so please remove it as it may be causing conflicts, especially so as to the failed SP3 update and system restore. I would also like for you to check that Windows audio is started and set to Automatic in Services.... Start> Control Panel> Admin Tools> Services....scroll down to windows audio and make sure that it is startedand set to auto, also check control panel audio and make sure that your sound card is listed and that it is checked as the default one.

Iain.

Edited by odin88, 10 May 2011 - 02:43 AM.

#6 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:08 AM

It's an HP Pavilion a1606n Sorry for the typo! I disconnected the M-Audio Pre USB and got my sound back. I ran the Everest Report I think/hope it is attached. I checked under service and it is set to started and auto.

Is there anything in this report that might hint at why I had a problem trying to update Windows Security Pack 3?

In the report I'm trying to figure out if I have 512 gig of RAM or 1 gig of ram; if I don't have 1 gig RAM Microcenter ripped me off.

Edited by Beth102, 10 May 2011 - 08:02 AM.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

Hello Beth102,

The report button is to be used for reporting misplaced posts or other posts with problems. It is not to be used for posting logs which some may call reports.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

It's an HP Pavilion a1606n Sorry for the typo! I disconnected the M-Audio Pre USB and got my sound back. I ran the Everest Report I think/hope it is attached. I checked under service and it is set to started and auto.

Is there anything in this report that might hint at why I had a problem trying to update Windows Security Pack 3?

In the report I'm trying to figure out if I have 512 gig of RAM or 1 gig of ram; if I don't have 1 gig RAM Microcenter ripped me off.

Hi Beth 102,
when you next reply to this post you will see below the script box that there is an area called attachments, click Browse then select the file (everest report) on your computer then click Attach This File.
I am pleased that you have now got your sound back. I will check the report and let you know if you have the correct ammount of Ram installed and look to see if I can see any conflicts that may be causing the SP3 install fail, but i have a hunch that it may be down to the ammount of available Ram (not enough!!) 1gb should be proficient but any thing less and things will start to lag and fail to run, most programs require lots of Ram memory. upload the report and i will get on it for you.
you could also run the crucial scan here... http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ ...this is a neat little tool that tells you what type/speed and ammount of ram you have installed and what type/speed and ammount you can upgrade to.

Iain.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

Pertinent hardware data from Everest report:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer OBSESSION (link to the world)
Generator HP_Administrator
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2011-05-10
Time 05:06

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name OBSESSION (link to the world)
User Name HP_Administrator

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 805, 2666 MHz (20 x 133)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport-G i945G
System Memory 1014 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (09/15/06)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family (224 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel GMA 950
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (3CQ101QX7X)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (3CQ101QX7X)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
SCSI/RAID Controller Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
Disk Drive WDC WD2000JS-60NCB1 (186 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Generic- Compact Flash USB Device (972 MB, USB)
Disk Drive Generic- SM/xD-Picture USB Device
Disk Drive Generic- SD/MMC USB Device
Disk Drive Generic- MS/MS-Pro USB Device
Disk Drive HP USB Device
Disk Drive ST340063 3A USB Device (372 GB, USB)
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652M
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 181915 MB (159657 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 8846 MB (787 MB free)
K: (NTFS) 381551 MB (378918 MB free)
Total Size 558.9 GB (526.7 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Enhanced Mulmedia PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection (192.168.1.21)
Modem Data Fax SoftModem with SmartCP

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer HP Photosmart C5200 series (Copy 1)
Printer HP Photosmart C5200 series
Printer Quicken PDF Printer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device HP Photosmart C5200 #2
USB Device HP Photosmart C5200 series (DOT4USB)
USB Device USB Audio Device
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Printing Support
USB Device USB Video Device

The report indicates that your D: partition...is low on free space. Since this is an HP system, I would have to guess at what that partition is for. Since it's FAT32 and set up by the manufacturer, I would have to guess that it's a restore partition...not intended to be used for storing data files. If you have been storing data files there, I suggest that you move them to any of your larger partitions.

Louis

#10 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

Thank you for posting the log. The application program for the memory that is excellent. Regarding RAM this computer came with 512 so I upgraded to 1 gig-Microcenter put it in...and then my computer would not reboot...if I had a problem I had to shut the computer off...when I went back to Microcenter they kept my computer for 11 days and kept saying there was nothing wrong with it...then they wanted to charge me $300 to put the RAM in! I screamed bloody murder in front of customers and then the manager agreed to not charge me. They put in the wrong RAM, caused the problem, then wanted me to pay another $300 to do this again 2 months later...this was maybe 4 years ago...I won't go there for repairs anymore...last time I was in Microcenter (in the back room where you can get free help/advice) a woman was complaining about her laptop rebooting all the time since they upgraded her ram, and another woman was complaining that the computer she built with their advice on what to put in it was not working properly. (Also one of the repair guys told me to get a Linksey wireless the only problem is it didn't have a modem and I couldn't use it with Verizon! Dahhh!!) I started going to another little store nearby for repairs but they are a problem too because they wanted to charge me $150 to remove programs from my computer and I told them no thanks!
So is the RAM pretty easy to put in? If I do this upgrade could I put it in myself? I need to get comfortable doing these things. I can't afford to have someone else install RAM right now.
Regarding the D drive I don't know why it's so full I did not put anything in there to my knowledge but I could have done something in error. The D drive is a recovery partition and right now it has 7.87 used space and 787 meg free space. What I might have to do is put the recovery disk in the drive and just recover the Windows part and then I would have to do all those Windows Updates again that are such a pain! I need Service Pack 3 though because I have an Iphone 3Gs and I plugged it into the USB and my computer screen went blue. I need the Service Pack 3 in order to connect the Iphone to my computer.
One thing about my recovery disks, for about 6 weeks I kept getting infections, XP Security, backdoor Ramin, and a few others, when I was trying to get free software. I ended up doing a clean install about 5 times! The last time I did this, it took about 20 minutes before the computer accepted the recovery disk...there are 3 disks...and the 2nd disk wouldn't load and it said this is not the right disk and I kept trying till finally it did...same with the 3rd disk...so I might be able to do a partial recovery with the first disk, but next time I have to do a clean install I might have to just buy a new computer. The partial recovery I believe I only have to use the first disk...but I hope that would fix the D partition.
I have Nero 6 and I used the back up to back up my data files on to a Seagate 400 gig Seagate drive...I was disappointed though that I can't see the files in there. I don't understand everything about Nero 6. This computer is getting old so I want to be prepared.

#11 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:32 AM

Hi Beth 102,
can you tell me if you use Norton 360 as your security software, if so you will need to turn off the auto back up feature that by default writes the data backup to the D: drive, meaning the recovery partition. which in short order fills it up.
You will need to either turn off the auto backup feature in Norton(or what ever it has) or set it to backup to a different drive, like an external hdd or a DVD or CDR. You cannot set(Norton) it to write to anywhere on the C: drive, it wont let you.Or it could be that Nero is using the D: patition as its backup point if so you need to buy an internal/external drive to use as the back up drive because any back up utility will not allow you to back up on your C: Partition.
If the D: drive is already full, you will need to find the Backup files and move them (or delete) off the D: partition. Be careful not to delete the 'Recovery partition' data.
As for the repair shops that you have used, it is incredible that they can charge that much for a simple fix, to replace the Ram is very simple.. as you have already run the memory advisor you know exactly the best type of Ram your system will support,Ram can be expensive but there is always Ebay, I have used it many times to buy Ram and I have had no issues, got if fairly cheap aswell.to replace the ram you need to remove the power source (unplug kettle lead from the tower)press and hold the start up button on the front of your tower so as to dissapate any power left in the capacitators(press for at lest 30sec's),you will need a star shaped screwdriver to remove the two rear righthand screws so you can remove the side panel(slide back and lift up)to expose the motherboard.You must proccede with care at this point as some of the componants are very fragile,locate the Ram modules(very easy to spot)they are held in by a clip at either end,press the clips back and remove the Ram, replace the Ram by sitting it in the slot(make sure that the grooves are lined up properly) and press down firmly to click them in place. Whilst you are inside the tower you may well give it a good blow out, buy a can of compressed air, you can buy these from any decent hardware shop for a couple of $'s,use it to blow out any dust paying peticuliar attention to the CPU fan and power supply unit, then put the casing back together.Very easy :thumbup2: . Just a bit of common sense and patience is all you need, also make sure that you have grounded yourself before hand to dissapate any static you may be holding,as static can be fatal for a machine, touch a radiator or tap before going into the tower.

Here is a link to the Drivers for your machine, as you say your recovery discs are starting to fail i would suggest downloading and saving these to a new disc for future installs.... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3321063#N418 ....click on the Original option.
Here is also a link for the manuals for your machine.... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3321063&

Iain.

#12 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:07 AM

No I don't have Norton 360 I have Spy Doctor with Anti Virus. I have no idea why my D drive (recovery partition?) would be filled. the system does not let me look at the files in there it gives me a warning and tells me not to touch the files but also I cannot view anything on that drive as far as I know.

#13 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:39 AM

Thank you. Well it appears I cannot get recovery disks from them and I cannot use the CD creator to make my own because they only allow you to do this one time. I cannot ask a question to HP help without paying a fee and I believe it is substantial. When I created the original back up CDs I wonder if I should have made a copy then and if that would have served as an extra CD or DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users