Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OpenCandy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 I.C.H

I.C.H

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Recently on checking a couple of free apps registry keys in my OS "CU & LM" I came upon a couple of items referenced to "OpenCandy". I did a search for this item & MSE flags it as malware. Doing a bit more homework it turns out this item is bundled into quite a few freeware app installers. On checking the installers I found there was no opt-out in the EULA. The question I have for you guys, if you can help, is there a listing on the www of open source / freeware that has "Open Candy" bundled with it?

"OpenCandy" is something I do not wish on my system & prefer to avoid. I'm sure others will be concerned about any software that has no opt-out on the install?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

I.c.h

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:03 AM

I don't know if it came with your computer but do you happen to have Kaspersky? Here's the website so the guys here can see what it is. It's not malware.

http://www.opencandy.com/

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

Per the OpenCandy FAQ's regarding opt-in and opt-out that is up to the developer or advertiser not OpenCandy.

Q: What does ‘opt-in’ and ‘opt-out’ mean? Are OpenCandy-powered recommendations ‘opt-out’ or ‘opt-in’?

A: For software recommendations, opt-in refers to offers where nothing is preselected or where the box next to “do not install” is selected by default, while opt-out refers to offers where “install” is the default option.

On the OpenCandy Software Network we allow our developer and advertiser partners to make their own choices concerning how they wish to recommend software or be recommended. Some developers choose to recommend an application through an opt-out offer as a way of communicating how strongly they recommend a particular piece of software to their users.

Regardless of the manner in which a given developer chooses to make their recommendations, each product being recommended on our network must still pass all of our strict policies enforcing honesty, transparency and a top-notch user experience.

Quote from: http://www.opencandy.com/faqs/#opt-in-versus-opt-out

OpneCandy full FAQ's: http://www.opencandy.com/faqs/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 I.C.H

I.C.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

Back to my original question, is anyone familiar with a site that highlights Opencandy embedded in open source / freeware application installers?

Cheers

I

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

I have no experience with any open source software that includes OpenCandy. For that matter I'm unfamiliar with any software with OpenCandy embedded.

Hopefully someone else can offer more insight on OpenCandy.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

After looking at their FAQs, the best way to describe OpenCandy is it's a stealth nag. It's designed to sell you additional products from software developers. You're not supposed to know that it's installing with the software until it tries to sell you something later. According to the FAQs, you should not be able to uninstall it separately and it may be unsafe to try to do so. I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to know where you got it.

#7 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Sounds like a PUP basing on the details and the way it acts is like an adware.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users